Favorite One Row Tunes

Cathasach

9 hours ago, Cathasach said:

...Can I get suggestions for other songs that are (mostly) a single row?

I have an experimental version of an ABC tune book with over 5000 tunes in C or G. I have tabbed these using an along-the-row strategy and as far as I can see, most of them are playable on a single row. The numbering used in the tabs is that used by the ABT system, not Gary Coover's system. You are welcome to a copy (I would try to post here in the first instance, but the file is large-ish - 6.2Mb unzipped, 1.4Mb zipped)...

Edited by Roger Hare
  • Like 1

There must be a lot of tunes to play on one row only.. in G major, or the C major rows. Sometimes it can be as much challenge to use only one row notes, particularly after even used to playing combinations over rows.

That is as long as there are no 'accidentals' occur in the music ( unexpected sharps etc..)!

A big percentage of tunes in a major key can be played on one row.  Indeed, if you are versatile about starting a tune on the left hand octave, the vast majority of tunes in the major key, and many in the associated modes, can be played on a single row.  Another technique I used to use on harmonica (which is equivalent to a single row of an Anglo) was to transpose a single phrase up or down an octave to make it fit.

My question is "why?"

If you play a single line of melody, you can play it more smoothly, often more quickly, and with easier fingering, with a couple of simple across the row techniques.

Just one example that I use regularly: on a CG box, playing in C, I will often use the B (push, 2nd button right hand G row) in preference to the B (pull, 5th button, right hand C row) in a run of notes.

If you play in a harmonic style, then crossing rows opens up richer accompaniment options.

I can understand it as an exercise to develop technique, or even as an intellectual challenge, but I can see no musical advantage in playing along the row when there is a better option crossing the row.

1 hour ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

There must be a lot of tunes to play on one row only.. in G major, or the C major rows. Sometimes it can be as much challenge to use only one row notes, particularly after even used to playing combinations over rows.

That is as long as there are no 'accidentals' occur in the music ( unexpected sharps etc..)!

1 hour ago, Mikefule said:

A big percentage of tunes in a major key can be played on one row.  Indeed, if you are versatile about starting a tune on the left hand octave, the vast majority of tunes in the major key, and many in the associated modes, can be played on a single row.  Another technique I used to use on harmonica (which is equivalent to a single row of an Anglo) was to transpose a single phrase up or down an octave to make it fit.

My question is "why?"

If you play a single line of melody, you can play it more smoothly, often more quickly, and with easier fingering, with a couple of simple across the row techniques.

Just one example that I use regularly: on a CG box, playing in C, I will often use the B (push, 2nd button right hand G row) in preference to the B (pull, 5th button, right hand C row) in a run of notes.

If you play in a harmonic style, then crossing rows opens up richer accompaniment options.

I can understand it as an exercise to develop technique, or even as an intellectual challenge, but I can see no musical advantage in playing along the row when there is a better option crossing the row.

A major ( and effective ) reason for the development of the Jeffries duet.  Same basic handy button pattern but chromatic with zig-zag fingering. 

4 hours ago, Mikefule said:

My question is "why?"

I think, at least in ITM it could be a choice of style and tradition.  Sounding like some of the earlier masters (especially East Clare)  BTW there are also many great tunes in some minor/modal keys that work well too.  I am on the search for a 20B Jeffries to explore deeper into this realm.

Cathasadh,

Stack of Barley, Maggie In The Woods. 

The first ones to pop up when I tried to play on one row.  Never done that, one row like.

I'll have an interesting afternoon, looking for tunes to fit on one row.

Just now, tried The Independent Hornpipe, ( Independence ?)  

It works, with a bit of creative accounting, dodging that high Fnat.

Yeah, I'll be back later, with more on this topic, well done, young man, good idea.

Any more volunteers for single row tunes ? I mean, and Cathasach means,  tune names and maybe,  links, for tunes on one row.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 3:57 AM, Mikefule said:

My question is "why?"

In terms of why, the main reason for me is that I play with a variety of people a lot of whom play instruments tunes to keys like Bb and it's nice to be able to know I can stay on one row.

I'm also a beginner and it's easier for me to stay on one row, lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SIMON GABRIELOW said:

Many years ago.. I saw someone playing a ONE row concertina!

Yes, with only ten buttons on it!

So they didn't have to think of this one row tunes topic at at all.. for obvious reasons!!😊

And this is the other reason, my coworker has a ten button concertina I'd like to play!

On 12/3/2023 at 2:52 PM, jim troy said:

...Stack of Barley, Maggie In The Woods...The Independent Hornpipe...

Ah! Some specific tunes.

I've attached a PDF, and simple ABC of all three of those tunes. Two versions of 'Maggie in the Woods' as the tune appears to be mildly schizophrenic - appearing as often in 2/4 as 4/4. Added bonus, 'A Little Stack of Wheat', supposedly a good tune to play in a set with 'Little Stack of Barley'. A total of five.

The ABC code has my own ABC preferences included at the top - just change 'em as needed to suit your own preferences.

I'm pretty sure all those can be played on one row on either a C/G or a G/D instrument? I didn't add any tabs because I don't know whether OP has a C/G or a G/D, and the tabs would be different...

An alternative approach? I think that if you look at Michael Eskin's Tune Book collections, and select those tunes which do not have any tabs which include an 'a' (for accidental row), you stand a pretty good chance of being able to play many of those tunes on one row? That's mildly speculative - I can't remember now if the tunes come ready-tabbed, or if you have to add the tabs yourself, but I seem to remember this being mentioned a while back...

1-row-tunes.pdf 1-row-tunes.abc

Edited by Roger Hare
  • Like 1