What to get? So many and I don't know which one/type to purchase...HELP please!

I know a lot of you will have your favorites but I need help to understand the differences.  Jeffries, Wheatstone, Lachenal.  I know that I want at least a 30 button anglo, new or one that has been professionally made right so there will be no problems playing it.  I am a newbie with this and have tried the old cheap ones and it just isn't working out.  I like all kinds of music so probably won't be playing any one particular kind.  I found out what I think is a Clover Jeffries on youtube (Luke Hillman playing, I like his music) and I like the sound of it.  I have looked at Tedrow's site today and he had a Clare Jeffries system and my understanding they are a little bit smaller and might be a better fit for my hands.  The ones he himself makes are beautiful works of art just to look at also and several of you have highly recommended his concertinas. Suggestions are welcome please.  

I was where you are about 25 years ago, when hybrid instruments were just starting to appear. There is no simple, one-size-fits-all answer. The choice/fit/preferred sound of a concertina is very personal. To my mind there are two approaches:

1) Pick one make you can get your hands on now and buy it to get started. If you later decide another type suits you better, you can typically sell a good hybrid for nearly what you paid for it, while vintage or traditionally-built new instruments generally hold their value or appreciate. This approach is often taken by those who can't bear to wait or happen to have enough money lying around.

2) If you are more hesitant/methodical or don't have much to spend, while saving up take every opportunity to try instruments at festivals, classes, etc. I did this and after about 2 years (1998-2000) had tried all the new makes of intermediate/hybrid anglos then on the market (there are many more now). Several would have suited me fine; I happened to end up (first) with a Morse, which I still play all the time in spite of access to fancier instruments since. At least two other makes would have made me just as happy. There were a couple that didn't suit me but I know others who own them and absolutely love them. (or like Simon G. they learn to be happy with whatever they already have.) See the challenge in giving you glib advice on what to buy?

Many will chime in saying they have a so-and-so and it is great. No doubt it is for them, but pay attention to whether it is their first good instrument (often the case) or they have tried a number of makes and can make a comparison of the traits of each. 

Try-then-decide also applies to button layouts (Jeffries, Wheatstone-Lachenal) as far as I'm concerned. Pick one, stick to it and learn it. You'll know when you are ready to experiment with variations.

For me all this was a bit like buying another good instrument, or a car, or....you name it. Personally some emotion eventually enters into my final decision and that's OK too. Good luck.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Leah Velleman said:

Do you have a sense of what your budget is? That will narrow the options down some.

Yes, I do but don't know whether to spend 2500 or so on one to learn on or get a cheaper one to start with.  Then again, if I get a more expensive one from what I have been listening to online and it sounds great (could be the person playing too) I can always sell it if it doesn't work out or trade in for another one.  I want to get one that is in the US so I can have it sooner too.  This doesn't mean I want to be bombarded with people trying to sell theirs to me either.  I want either a new one or  one that has been professionally made right so there will be no problems playing it.

Edited by Sandra A

1 hour ago, Ken_Coles said:

Pick one make you can get your hands on now and buy it to get started.

I guess that is what I am trying to do.  See what works best for me by perhaps trying different ones over time.

47 minutes ago, Sandra A said:

Yes, I do but don't know whether to spend 2500 or so on one to learn on or get a cheaper one to start with.  Then again, if I get a more expensive one from what I have been listening to online and it sounds great (could be the person playing too) I can always sell it if it doesn't work out or trade in for another one.  

The Concertina Connection trade-in deal would be one way to do this. They've got a wait on some models, but for their beginner and intermediate models it's a matter of weeks and not months or years. (I've heard their top-of-the-line Wakker concertinas have a much longer wait.)

EDIT: That Clover you mentioned liking the sound of is one of theirs. 

Edited by Leah Velleman
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Leah Velleman said:

EDIT: That Clover you mentioned liking the sound of is one of theirs. 

Yes, I know.  Thank you.  The ones I really, really like are the Marcus but the wait time is long.

• Like 1

Hallo Sandra , firstly you have to decide what type of music you would like to play.

If it is with mainly full chords . Irish Traditional music. English Traditional music etc.

On this site you can hear vast quantities of music played on the three main types on concertina. Anglo English and Duet and see which type of playing you prefer.

I started on a very cheap instrument and worked my way up to an expensive one, I still think this is the best route for a beginner who's tastes may change as they progress..

I very much look forward to hearing you playing here in the future.

Al

• Thanks 1

It's very much s personal choice as to which instrument will suit you.

I am mundanely happy with my one, but there again I have never really shopped around for others for years.

I use my own I instrument as a means to an end in itself; for making music.

There's a huge choice of them everywhere, and some good offers secondhand maybe? Or new concertinas being made ( for all budgets).

Also some very cheap ones ( caution)!. And these can have synthetic bellows .. best to have leather bellows; as they last longer.

New ones may still need 'working in' to get them playing fluently.

Over here in UK very few music shops left to go and try them out .. but maybe you can locate a real shop and ask to have a go? It is amazing how differently each instrument can feel in the hands and how that can affect your playing technique.

There's the Italian makers producing modern concertinas using all the equipment from previous factory; which was featured here on c.net last year, I think. 

Best of luck with your decision.🌝

• Like 1

assuming that the Anglo route is where you want to go ahead, have a look at Lachenal - Ref: A30L8 as per the website of one of the confidable dealers in the UK, Andrew C. Norman:

http://www.acnorman.co.uk - „for sale“

(just an IMO fitting example which seems to be currently available - adding that I bought several concertinas from them and was always perfectly happy with the instrument and the support)

Edited by Wolf Molkentin

2 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

have a look at Lachenal - Ref: A30L8 

Thanks Wolf.  I would prefer to find one in the US at this time so I don't have to pay import and duty taxes.  I looked at the one you noted but would bellows over 100 years old last much longer?  Others have also recommended Lachenal also.  I have a lot to think about and to research since I am clueless on the different ones.

5 hours ago, Alan Day said:

I still think this is the best route for a beginner who's tastes may change as they progress..

I think you are right.  I have been listening to different music on them and I think I want the Anglo.  I also need to learn how to play one well before I spend a fortune on one.  It might be that I would be happy with an intermediate level forever.  

of course, I missed your being located in the US - a seller would replace original bellows only if need be, they can be that reliable - you‘ll probably be able to spot a similar instrument in the US as well - the quality of Lachenal concertinas varies a lot, but rosewood ended instruments can be quite nice but affordable 

29 minutes ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

you‘ll probably be able to spot a similar instrument in the US as well - the quality of Lachenal concertinas varies a lot, but rosewood ended instruments can be quite nice but affordable 

I'm considering these...  I am seriously considering this one in particular  https://hmi.homewood.net/concertinas/#/view/ID2272886  Here are others that might be great too...

https://hmi.homewood.net/concertinas/#/view/ID2250760

https://hmi.homewood.net/concertinas/#/view/ID2272218  

https://hmi.homewood.net/concertinas/#/view/ID2275756

as you may guess I would support the second one (Lachenal, I paid considerably less however, but then again this one my well be worth the asking price), and I‘m sceptical re the fourth (Wheatstone from a period of lesser quality, but possibly a good one nevertheless), re hybrids I‘m out do to a lack of any personal experience 

• Thanks 1

Ideally you would try them out side by side. If that's not possible maybe you could arrange a video call with Bob for him to demonstrate them and talk about the pros and cons of each. The late 40 button Wheatstones (mostly made for the South African market) may not have the finest reputation, but some players find the extra buttons very useful.

• Like 2

My search is over.  I just bought a Tedrow.  So excited!!!  I called him to ask about some of the ones I had looked at on his site and he said why not buy mine?  I had no idea he had one available, brand spanking new!  I never thought he would have one, they are few and far between.  Yes!  It was meant to be! So many of you had told me his were wonderful and it should arrive here around Labor Day, September 4, for those of you who don't live in the States.  I can't believe it!  What am I going to do on the meantime?  Ahhh, I wish it was here already.  Did I say I am excited?  It is also beautiful to look at too, a work of art!  Can't wait!  The time will probably crawl by.  Another lesson in patience I guess. :) :) :) 

• Like 6