Tablature from ChatGPT

Roger Hare

33 minutes ago, David Barnert said:

Were the notes underneath also generated by ChatGPT? Whoever (or whatever) wrote it seems to be confused as to which way is “in” and which way is “out.” Not being an anglo player, I can’t address the actual notes named.

As far as I'm aware, the whole thing was generated by ChatGPT, but I've asked the originator for clarification. (Edit: The originator tells me he doesn't know how ChatGPT produced this result) I couldn't relate the notes to the notes in any of the 6 ABC settings of the tune which I looked at...

I also noted the confusion about Push/Pull In/Out Sook/Blaw.

Also 'numbers' seem to be used for two different functions...

Given the title of the tune, I suspect that this might have been dreamed up by someone who uses 'Irish ABC' (which was discussed somewhere recently - may have been here or melodeon.net).

I dunno - it looks like a right mess to me...

Edited by lachenal74693

Everything in that screenshot was generated by ChatGPT, and the notation is most likely gibberish. "A right mess" is a very apt description.

ChatGPT can produce amazing results, but it can also produce a lot of nonsense, and my experience getting it to generate music has tended more toward nonsense. It can write syntactically valid ABC notation, but it isn't always clever enough to keep the time signature and bar lines consistent, for example. Its primary job is to make things that look like sentences and paragraphs, not to truly understand them or check them for logical consistency. That's why you see strangeness like saying both numbers and case indicate bellows direction, but numbers also indicate octave.

That response from ChatGPT was complete nonsense.  ChatGPT has no idea about what's true or even relevant. At its heart, it just a massive multi-dimensional predictive engine about what word comes next.

I'm doing some work with the OpenAI LLMs in my "real" job.  I'd always consider any response you get from ChatGPT as just a bunch of text with absolutely no guarantee of veracity.  In our case that doesn't matter, we're using it as just a starting point for ideas.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Steve Schulteis said:

Everything in that screenshot was generated by ChatGPT... it can also produce a lot of nonsense...

Thanks for that insight into ChatGPT. I'd assumed there was some human content. It's (almost) a relief to find that that's not the case. I knew nothing about it, and this was my first exposure to anything it had produced. I'm impressed - just not very much...

23 hours ago, Steve Schulteis said:

ChatGPT can produce amazing results, but it can also produce a lot of nonsense, and my experience getting it to generate music has tended more toward nonsense.

Curious. Over 20 years ago (Summer, 2000) I heard a very convincing set of Bach-like pieces of music produced by AI using an algorithm that processed Bach’s music the way the current AI algorithms process language (ie., guessing what note comes next based on what came before and the database of Bach’s music). One would think the AI folks would have thought of combining the two functionalities into one machine.

Also relevant: AI gives better results when it is imitating something it has "seen" a lot of before. chatGPT can sometimes (not always) generate usable Javascript code, since the web data it was trained on includes millions of examples of Javascript code. I imagine its training data included little or no concertina tab, making it extremely unlikely to generate usable examples. If you had a huge collection of concertina tab to train on, you could get better results, though likely not perfect ones.

Edited by Leah Velleman

Now, if you really want to get in the weeds with this, you can, when making queries to ChatGPT, include examples in your query, and it will aggregate those examples in its logic when it comes up with its response.   You can't change the training data, but you can gently nudge it in the direction you want if you give it a few known good good examples in your prompt.

For example:

image.thumb.png.66f82a3a2b8dad2fbc9f1651ea7d01e7.png

Edited by eskin

The folkrnn program does a reasonable job of generating 'folk music' automagically (it uses a 'recursive-neural-network trainer'). I visit the site every so often to see what it can produce. I guess it was this program which was at the back of my mind when I queried the 'relevance' of ChatGPT in this area. folkrnn generated this one for me a couple of years ago:

screenshot_04.jpg.2b65d46eedd19401e67d91b33770a5ab.jpg

I called it '1166 Hornpipe' because it was the 1166th tune generated after the project'went public'.

Work on this project continues. I think Bob Sturm is currently based at a university in Stockholm.

I had some more up-to-date links, but I simply cannot find them!

Edited by lachenal74693

Please for the sake of humanity let us NOT forget that the reason for us all being here, on this earth, as creative performers, or individuals, is to find solace and pleasure in using the manual skills of hand and mind. Machines have their uses, but are just illusionary devices, apparently making decisions by the easiest way possible; so that those with less experience, or patience to take time to learn physically a skill, or at least, attempt to, can suddenly feel they have a talent!

There's still one problem with it all, as society continues to ignore manual skills, in favour of technology, and that is that it still needs power to make it work; and if the battery runs down, or it fails to work.. it is absolutely useless, and lost for good!

Edited by SIMON GABRIELOW

Simon, I get the 'gist' of your post, but lets also not forget that of its time the concertina, would have been considered new technology/machine, also with a potential for failure. After plenty hours/years of practice, I could still never say I have a talent, what ever instrument I'm playing, rather for me, they are a conduit to connect with the music. If something new comes along that helps to assist with that, and works, I'd embrace that 'technology'.

A lot of the generated music I've gotten back from ChatGPT, even with giving it starting examples in my prompt based on Irish tunes, to me sound more Morris dance influenced than traditional Irish.

It makes me wonder if it was trained on a large collection of Morris dance tune ABCs at some point.