Clare style of concertina playing

mike delta

Hello, is the style of concertina playing in County Clare particular to that geographic area or would it be classed as simply "concertina playing". I ask because I am curious in so far as fiddle styles of playing exist in different geographical areas of Ireland and I was wondering if the same may be said of concertina. If Clare does have its own particular style how may one describe it?  

Thank you, Mike Delta

Not only does Clare have a style, but east Clare and west Clare differ, is my general impression. The experts here will likely chime in. And didn't Gearoid O'H. write a dissertation on Irish concertina playing and styles? (same disclaimer - my recollection is hazy here).

Ken

I am not an expert, but you can hear the West Clare concertina music on the "Clare Concertina Styles" CD or "The Clare set" 6CD set from the Free-Reed label (Neil Wayne), and the East Clare music on Mary MacNamara's recent book with CD "Sundays at Lena's" (available directly from Mary or Custy's).

"Keepers of Tradition" is also a good concertina CD but it contains both West and East Clare players.

11 hours ago, Ken_Coles said:

Not only does Clare have a style, but east Clare and west Clare differ, is my general impression. The experts here will likely chime in. And didn't Gearoid O'H. write a dissertation on Irish concertina playing and styles? (same disclaimer - my recollection is hazy here).

Ken

This article by Gearóid is freely accessible from Clare County Library:

https://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/music/heartland_clare_concertina/introduction.htm

I hope this is of some assistance.

• Like 1

Not one to solve in a few forum posts.

The way I see it, there are an awful lot of concertina players in Clare who, if you look at each in detail, have quite a variety of approaches to playing the instrument (especially if you look across the generations)  and yet manage to fall within the parameters of 'playing Clare (style)  music'.

In that sense, I feel,  'Clare style' would be how music rather than how the instrument is approached.

Edited by Peter Laban