Such a shame

By chance talking to a friends Wife she mentioned that she had a concertina . When I looked at it ,it was a perfect GD Hohner boxed in as new condition ,but it had a problem either bellows or air button. I took it apart yesterday and it was a major bellows problem every gusset made of very thin cloth type material had perished and you could see through it. I have to report back, but unless there is some sort of paint that could be applied it may have to be binned. If she wants rid of it ,it may be of use to someone who is repairing one. I will report back if anyone is interested.

Al

I don't know what button size or type is, but I like to keep spare buttons for my ( 1999) purchased Hohner brand concertina ( c and g set up.. but buttons could be useful for me 

Could not give much money as finances not marvellous. If buttons are the small white stud type? May be useful to me.. 

I Would need idea of size of buttons ( measurement and images). I keep part spares for my own uses and these you tell me about  I could find useful at least. Let me know.

Liquid electrical tape?

See: https://www.concertina.net/gs_stagirepair.html

I have used this stuff for marine electrical repairs and can see that it might work for cloth gussets.  It is very stringy, sticky and goopy stuff!

If that does not work then there is an eBay seller who makes bellows for sale: sandylaneman.

Edited by Don Taylor

2 hours ago, Alan Day said:

By chance talking to a friends Wife she mentioned that she had a concertina . When I looked at it ,it was a perfect GD Hohner boxed in as new condition ,but it had a problem either bellows or air button. I took it apart yesterday and it was a major bellows problem every gusset made of very thin cloth type material had perished and you could see through it. I have to report back, but unless there is some sort of paint that could be applied it may have to be binned. If she wants rid of it ,it may be of use to someone who is repairing one. I will report back if anyone is interested.

Al

If the rest is in as good condition as you say the it would surely be worth a new set of bellows, or a proper repair job.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have now gone back to the owner and she is happy for me to dispose of this concertina. I have enclosed pictures of the outside and inside of the concertina which may be useful to those who have never seen the inside of this make of concertina (German Democratic Republic). Remember the bellows need all the corner gussets replaced,otherwise it is exactly as new. 

DSC01148.JPG

DSC01147.JPG

DSC01149.JPG

That's just like one someone brought round to my home years ago; exactly the same model! Two row Anglo system, quite boxy, but solidly made.  I moved on from two row model myself years ago, however I remember opening up my own similar model [with more wooden vanished casing not painted red]. to see how it worked inside,  at that time.

Incidentally, it was  a red coloured one like in this  picture which someone came round to pass onto me,  many years ago, I eventually gave it to a man that ran a second hand warehouse place in York; and he was absolutely delighted with it!