A Good Jeffries/a Great Jeffries?

Amen to what both of you say. I enjoy playing a Jeffries when someone allows me to, but at these prices I do not expect to ever own one. There are alternatives (you'll pay less for a new Suttner or Dipper, and other makers are appearing). If I had 7,000 U.S. to spend on something, I'd be more likely to travel overseas for several months than buy another concertina. Hmmm...maybe I don't belong in this august group with an attitude like that!

Ken, tell the truth! Imagine there is a wonderful Jeffries sitting in front of you and a $7,000. European vacation. (Don't let me down now!)

Please tell me you'd pick the Jeff and then busk your way across Europe!?!

I could put everything behind doors and throw in a lady and a tiger but I wanted to keep things simple!

Greg

If I had 7,000 U.S. to spend on something, I'd be more likely to travel overseas for several months than buy another concertina. Hmmm...maybe I don't belong in this august group with an attitude like that!

Ken, tell the truth! Imagine there is a wonderful Jeffries sitting in front of you and a $7,000. European vacation. (Don't let me down now!)

Please tell me you'd pick the Jeff and then busk your way across Europe!?!

I could put everything behind doors and throw in a lady and a tiger but I wanted to keep things simple!

Greg

I'll take the lady and the tiger. I'm still single and I like adventure. :rolleyes:

Hmm!

This is getting more complicated than I thought!

I would have picked the Jeffries.

Ken would first pick up the vacation tickets and then ask the lady to accompany him, leaving the tiger to eat the Jeffries.

Alan would scoop up the Jeffries, jump on the tiger, grab the lady and play morris tunes all the way to East Germany.

Gotta' love Alan's enthusiasm!

Greg

Ideally, I'd take the Jeffries, sell it to the lady at a small discount over retail, pocket the cash and go home to my wife and her veritable menagerie of pets...

No point in wasting a expert instrument on "London Bridge" and scale excercises!

To answer the original question:

My Jeffries sounds great at all volumes. It has a beautiful tone when played softly. It sounds just as good when played loudly. This range of playing volumes where the concertina sounds good is much wider than that of other concertinas that I have played. I had an accordion reed-concertina that was limited in this aspect. It sounded good at medium volumes. It sounded not so good at low and high volumes. Having a good sound at all volumes, IMO, opens up a lot of doors for musical expression. I would think that this type of range is something that you would find in any fine-instrument (violins, etc). Anyone disagree with this?

• 3 weeks later...