Strange fret ends

wunks

Does anyone recognize this fret pattern or even this particular instrument?  There is some confusion coming from the seller as to the maker.  Supposedly Lachenal and the 4 fold dark green bellows with the standard papers seem to support this.  I can't seem to get a pic of the other end so this might be a home made replacement although it seems nicely done and pleasing if simple.  Seller says mahogany but it looks like walnut or maybe rough rosewood to me.  German?  One can see the pads,springs and radial layout through the ends.  If I hear back from them I can provide more detail.  Thanx.

644782940.jpg

Hi

This distinctive pattern look the same as the three Jabez Austin instruments at the concertina museum

https://www.concertinamuseum.com/CM00260.htm

It could be tricky to ever definitively say, but there could well be more clues inside...the three at the museum all have 'JA' stamped internally.

Whoever the maker / makers, an interesting piece of concertina history! Please post more pics if you get them.

Very interesting.  I wonder where that shared pattern originated?  Hopefully I'll "end"up with it!  I'm waiting for more pics and will certainly post them.  Thank you both....😃

Edited by wunks
clarity

The ends are rosewood, doesn't look like a Lachenal pattern.  It's common for early EC's like this one to have 4 fold green bellows.

• Like 1