James Arthur Travers (1890-1952)

On the first page, and at the end of this thread I gave a little bit more information about James Travers, a concertina player, tuner and repairer, along with a photo. Today I borrowed my wife's Ancestry account and found him on the first try! I've messaged a lady who appears to be his grand-daughter, so this may lead to a proper article with more details. But here's a summary:

Born James Arthur TREVERSH (which is why many searches never worked!), on 19 Mar 1890 at Clapham, London. By 1901 he is living in Battersea, and by 1908 he is with the East Surrey Regiment. At the end of WW1 he is living in Sheepcote Lane, Battersea where he remains until ~1938, and moves to Somerset by the 1939 telephone directory(TD), Isle Brewers by 1946 TD, and Castle House, Enmore by 1951 TD. He died 4 Oct 1952.

Since the description of him in late 1949 says he has over 45 years experience of the concertina, it takes us back before 1905, so it's possible he started work aged 12 in 1902. I'm reminded very much of the early days of Tommy Williams, also of Battersea, who worked for Lachenal. Perhaps they knew each other?

JamesTravers.jpg

Edited by wes williams
  • Like 1

He's in Somerset in time for the 1939 Register Wes (taken on 29 September 1939), which provides a snapshot of his life at the outbreak of WW2. His address is given as Merry Garden, Langport, occupation Army Pensioner Disable[d], along with his wife Florence V. Travers, occupation House & Shop Duties.

• Like 1

Thanks Stephen,

Merry Garden appears to be in High Ham, a small village in the Langport district. Your mention of him as an Army Pensioner brings up something that has puzzled me. In the advert below from July 1950, he prominently features the abbreviation C.D.G which I thought might be 'Croix De Guerre' . Anybody have any ideas?

JamesTraversAD1950-07.jpg

• 8 months later...
On 5/24/2021 at 11:15 PM, wes williams said:

On the first page, and at the end of this thread I gave a little bit more information about James Travers, a concertina player, tuner and repairer, along with a photo. Today I borrowed my wife's Ancestry account and found him on the first try! I've messaged a lady who appears to be his grand-daughter, so this may lead to a proper article with more details. But here's a summary:

Born James Arthur TREVERSH (which is why many searches never worked!), on 19 Mar 1890 at Clapham, London. By 1901 he is living in Battersea, and by 1908 he is with the East Surrey Regiment. At the end of WW1 he is living in Sheepcote Lane, Battersea where he remains until ~1938, and moves to Somerset by the 1939 telephone directory(TD), Isle Brewers by 1946 TD, and Castle House, Enmore by 1951 TD. He died 4 Oct 1952.

Since the description of him in late 1949 says he has over 45 years experience of the concertina, it takes us back before 1905, so it's possible he started work aged 12 in 1902. I'm reminded very much of the early days of Tommy Williams, also of Battersea, who worked for Lachenal. Perhaps they knew each other?

JamesTravers.jpg

His Service Record shows him as being a Plumbers Mate at the time of attesting for the East Surreys in 1908.

Apparently he deserted in 1911, and again in October 1914.

Edited by sadbrewer

I used to play Water Polo for the Avondale Swimming Club based at Latchmere Baths and had a girlfriend in Sheepcote Lane . Some of the first Prefabs were built there. He was certainly walking distance to Tommy Williams who lived just off Silverthorne Road where it joins Queenstown Road near Battersea Park. Tommy, I understand, tuned and worked freelance for Lachenal. I feel certain that they knew each other. Thanks for the memories.

Al

• 7 months later...

Wes, if you can find out any more about him I’d be very interested as I now own his specially commissioned Wheatstone 68 key Jeffries duet system Aeola . It looks like the one in the photo of him .

Just saw this thread. I note the reference to "tune alteration" in the advert. I wonder if this refers to changing the keys of Anglos or moving instruments from the old high-pitch tuning to the modern A440--or to both! Are there many references to re-tuning in advertisements? I haven't noticed them before.