Oldest Band Recording ?

Alan Day

• 3 years later...

To be honest Dan I cannot remember, but most of the concertina bands at that time were based around the Manchester area.

Reading up on some old postings this band was recording about 1910 I do not know the age of this one.

The band photo was promoted by Lachenal.

Al

Edited by Alan Day

Nice recording, but there is something strange about the tags showing in the mp3. All the names and titles visible (Klaus Hirschburger, Sandra, Into a Secret Land and In the Shadows) are of contemporary artists and songs. This is probably some kind of software issue while downloading. Do younhappen to have access to the original cylinder, Alan, to at least identify the true title of the piece?

A musing 

In The Shadows, by the British composer Herman Fink (1872 -1939), was number 81 (small book) in the repertoire of he North London Concertina Band.

Arranged for the band by my father in the 1960's. it was a favourite and played regularly up to the bands demise in 1980.

Written circa 1911, it was reportedly played on the Titanic as the life boats were lowered. 

Geoff

Your Dad, if I am right Geoff, was a member of the Westminster Concertina Band .

Maurice Harvey was also a member, still a teenager.

I was actually listening to a recording of the band a few days ago.

Did your company supply Concertinas for bands Geoff ?

Al

Hi Alan,

The NLCB was formed from members of an evening class started by Harold Cowlin in 1956.

Dad took over both the class and the NLCB when Harold stood down due to ill health around 1960. 

Although, suffering poor health himself, dad, with my mum, me and my brother helping and the fact that

the evening school was local to the shop we managed to run both for the next 20 years. 

The Band, being a non-profit affair and having a not too high-brow repertoire was much in

demand at weekends across London by older generation organisations, clubs etc.

Because of his work, teaching, band and ICA commitments Dad was not a member of the Westminster Concertina Band. 

Geoff

Edited by Geoffrey Crabb
Crabbs made replacement Band instruments if asked.