Concertina Cake

O.k., it's nearly a year later, but here it is. My Wheatstone tenor English concertina has its birthday on April 30, one day before mine. The concertina was born in the same year as my mother, however, 1924. That meant that last year was its 80th birthday, so I threw a party, to which some concertina friends came (Dan Madden and David Cornell) as well as others. And I made a cake. Here are the pics.

post-584-1111258663_thumb.jpg

post-584-1111258712_thumb.jpg

I must confess that the cake did not get cut until after midnight, much to the disappointment of the kids at the party, who wanted it cut as soon as it appeared. The party was at 7:30 pm, and that's just when the cake was finished, having been started some 7 or 8 hours of labor (and one day) before. It had four sponge cake layers with natural colored mocha mousse frosting between (this is what shows through the cutwork). The sculpted outer frosting was colored chocolate buttercream frosting. The thin cutwork layer, thumbstrap, and "metal hardware" were sculpted from colored packaged rolled fondant. (If I hadn't been running so late, I would have made the cutwork more lovely...) The buttons are "Tic Tac" mint candies.

I also made a big trifle and had strawberries to dip in the leftover icing, so the folks who didn't stay up 'til midnight singing did get something... also leftover cake (yes there was some!) was consumed the next day.

~ Becky in Tucson, Arizona

Incredible. But I thought you were supposed to slice concertinas the other way ("...marked for easy slicing" as per the joke).

Sorry.

Hi, Becky. We met in 1997 when Julie and I went to Tucson for a conference and we showed up at your contradance.

Well done!

You are hired to cater my birthday. Each year I ask for a concertina instead of a party and presents. No one ever listens, but with your help I'd at least have my concertina cake and get to eat it too!

Many happy returns.

Greg

It is nice to see Becky finally post this story. She wrote nearly a year ago asking if it would be of interest. I strongly encouraged her to post it here, so I am glad she has done so. Happy birthday, all.

Yes, it did taste pretty good, too! (Lots of butter and chocolate involved; a high icing to cake ratio overall.)  :)

I will second that. It was as good tasting as it was good looking. I remember thinking that it was a shame to cut it; well, right up until I had my first fork-full and then I had an abrupt change in attitude.

All in all it was a wonderful party, good people and good music til the wee hours.

Dan Madden