Sign in to follow this  
John Moran

West Clare Concertina Players

Hello

If you are intersted in photographs of West Clare concertina players the Tom Munnelly collection appears to be online at the National Folklore collection in UCD.

https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbeg/41339

Apologies if this has been flagged before.

Plenty of photographs of Geoff Woofe playing and also of Peter Laban (two musicians who frequent this site).

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for that John. I had a look at it a few months ago, plenty of familiar faces and situations.  I remember turning up for the reunion of the surviving members of the Laictin Naofa, ( it was actually a talk, it was a bit of a surprise they all turned up and played too boot) and realising I hadn't brought a camera. Tom did, fortunately.  But that said, Tom was a man of many talents but photography was perhaps not one of them. He was in the right places and with the right people though and that makes the collection a valuable one.  

There were a few occasions too where I did bring the camera so I could turn the tables and  get a few snaps of Tom, here he is conducting  a public interview with another of the great West Clare characters, Marty Malley:

DSC-0016-small.jpg

Edited by Peter Laban

Posted (edited)

While on the topic of West Clare concertinaplayers (and this one may well deserve a thread of its own): later next  month a CD will be launched with a recording made during the late 1970s by Séamus MacMahúna of Paddy Murphy, Paddy Canny, Peter O'Loughlin with Geraldine Cotter on the piano. The launch will be at a concert with Geraldine joined by family members of the original players. One to watch out for, if you're into that sort of thing.

Edited by Peter Laban

39 minutes ago, Peter Laban said:

While on the topic of West Clare concertinaplayers (and this one may well deserve a thread of its own): later next  month a CD will be launched with a recording made during the late 1970s by Séamus MacMahúna of Paddy Murphy, Paddy Canny, Peter O'Loughlin with Geraldine Cotter on the piano. The launch will be at a concert with Geraldine joined by family members of the original players. One to watch out for, if you're into that sort of thing.

Hmmmmm.  I can always take a  good dose of  Murphy, Canny and O'Loughlin +  Geraldine  is  always splendid  !!

Posted (edited)

Hmmmmm.  I can always take a  good dose of  Murphy, Canny and O'Loughlin +  Geraldine  is  always splendid  !!

Yes, looking forward to that. Mind you, the next generation isn't half bad either, Eimear Coughlan (Paddy Canny's grandaughter) is quite the musician.

Edited by Peter Laban

Indeed Peter  the latest  generation  has some  fantastic  players... well, you know  my  current policy  is to support the  youth  by  concentrating my  instrument  making  efforts in their direction.