Sign in to follow this  
magpie

30B C/g Wheatstone For Sale

Hello all,

Following my recent acquisition of a Jeffries I am selling this Wheatstone I purchased from Ben in Toronto (via Ebay) a couple of years ago. It is in excellent condition as when I received it, in tune, with all the reeds sounding perfectly. The bellows are in mint condition. The rosewood ends give it a lovely tone which I have used for both Irish tunes and song accompaniment. It has been described by Chris Algar as an excellent example of the early post-WWII Wheatstone Anglo.

I may add a sound file and/or take photos of the reedpans if anybody is interested.

Asking price EUR2250, £2000 or equivalent.

post-12357-0-03346700-1515758201_thumb.jpg

post-12357-0-33649600-1515758206_thumb.jpg

post-12357-0-72008400-1515758211_thumb.jpg

Edited by magpie

I'd be interested in reed pan photos and a sound file (though mainly out of curiosity).

Hello all,

Following my recent acquisition of a Jeffries I am selling this Wheatstone I purchased from Ben in Toronto (via Ebay) a couple of years ago. It is in excellent condition as when I received it, in tune, with all the reeds sounding perfectly. The bellows are in mint condition. The rosewood ends give it a lovely tone which I have used for both Irish tunes and song accompaniment. It has been described by Chris Algar as an excellent example of the early post-WWII Wheatstone Anglo.

I may add a sound file and/or take photos of the reedpans if anybody is interested.

Asking price EUR2250, £2000 or equivalent.

Interesting mix with clamped and crimped reeds - perhaps a transitional instrument using up old reed stock?

Gary

Thanks for posting the pics and sound file! It has a nice sound.

Interesting mix with clamped and crimped reeds - perhaps a transitional instrument using up old reed stock?

Possibly, but even the clamped reeds have aluminum frames, and Wheatstone continued to use clamped aluminum-frame reeds in higher-end models for many years after this one was made. But I don't have an alternative theory for the mix.