Whatever Became Of...?

Now and then I look through old files and see names and wonder about those folks. Maybe you know what these people are up to, or have names you yourself are wondering about.

Bob DeVellis (NY state) - Bob gave me great advice on more than one occasion, but we never met unless he was at NESI when I was and I didn't realize it.

Unca Lloyd (Lloyd McDaniel, Florida) - Never terribly active on C.net, Unca was a fixture on the squeezebox newsgroup (for all I know he still is; I don't get over there) and at any ebay auction for a Stagi or Bastari. He must have bought dozens of them before finally scoring a 20-key Lachenal. Great sense of humor. Wasn't he a roofer? Hope he is OK and hasn't rolled off any roofs. "Hey kid, wanna buy a used Italian concertina?"

And how is DoN Nichols? (D.C. area) I know he uses the newsgroup and not any web sites, but I haven't seen him at the last two NESIs or the last Sea Music Festival in Mystic, events where he used to be a fixture. IIRC, he did send his bass EC to the 2004 NESI, and Rachel Hall played it sitting next to me in the concertina band.

Any news welcome.

Bob DeVillis is a resident of the Chapel Hill area of North Carolina and does research and I think also does some teaching at UNC-Chapel Hill. I haven't seen Bob in quite some time, but I did call him last year to see how he was doing. Bob suffered a while back from an extreme case of RSI in both hands and was unable to play any musical instrument for quite some time. I think driving was even quite difficult and painful. His recovery has been slow and he has had to avoid the concertina for some time.

Like you Ken, I got a lot from Bob. I first met him at the NESI and we shared tunes during several of the Anglo sessions there. We also participated in several of the concertina classes held at the Swannanoa Gathering. I visited him a couple of times when work took me near to his home each June. Bob hosted wonderful sessions with some fine local musicians and I was thrilled to be allowed to participate in their tune fests. I met some delightful musicians there -- including another fine fiddle and concertina player, Julie Ross.

I wish him well and hope he's been able to get back to good playing form. He's a real fine gentleman and a credit to the concertina-playing community.

Repetetive Stress Injury ?????

Yes. One example (the best known, perhaps), is carpal tunnel syndrome. Having been there myself (though evidently not as severely as Bob) I know how frustrating it can be. Best health to him and all of you out there. He really does have one of the most balanced and sensible views of musical study that I have ever encountered.

I wish him well and hope he's been able to get back to good playing form. He's a real fine gentleman and a credit to the concertina-playing community.

I would second that. Many years ago I sold Bob his first concertina. He had come to the UK to see Colin Dipper to place an order, and Colin knew that I had one for sale, so he pointed Bob in my direction. It was a rosewood-ended Lach 30-button, the classic starter instrument, and it was my first concertina also. Fortunately for me, Bob put up a web page on it, which allows me to visit it from time to time, as it were. It really was a nice little box, and we were both fond of it.

Chris

• 2 years later...

I Is alive! ! ! just busy doing other mundane thingy's...

Unca..

Now and then I look through old files and see names and wonder about those folks. Maybe you know what these people are up to, or have names you yourself are wondering about.

Bob DeVellis (NY state) - Bob gave me great advice on more than one occasion, but we never met unless he was at NESI when I was and I didn't realize it.

Unca Lloyd (Lloyd McDaniel, Florida) - Never terribly active on C.net, Unca was a fixture on the squeezebox newsgroup (for all I know he still is; I don't get over there) and at any ebay auction for a Stagi or Bastari. He must have bought dozens of them before finally scoring a 20-key Lachenal. Great sense of humor. Wasn't he a roofer? Hope he is OK and hasn't rolled off any roofs. "Hey kid, wanna buy a used Italian concertina?"

And how is DoN Nichols? (D.C. area) I know he uses the newsgroup and not any web sites, but I haven't seen him at the last two NESIs or the last Sea Music Festival in Mystic, events where he used to be a fixture. IIRC, he did send his bass EC to the 2004 NESI, and Rachel Hall played it sitting next to me in the concertina band.

Any news welcome.

Hey Ken;

I sent my Tedrow 30 custom Anglo back to Bob and had him repattern it into the Lachenal style instead of the Jeffries this summer. Just not at the point that I want to leave all my tabs.

Also still messing about with the harmonica notation crossover.

and, sadly still caring for Mom here at home, so it goes.

Unca.

Well, good to hear from you, Unca. Send more news some time.

Ken