Concertina & Squeezebox 1/1 Winter 1983

4to5to6

I am searching for the PDF copy of Concertina Magazine I/I (winter 1983) which later changed it's name to Concertina & Squeezebox. I understand someone here on Cnet put the entire collection on a CD years ago. I only need the first PDF file. It can be easily sent to me through www.sendspace.com please PM me.

Much appreciated,

John

It was the late George Salley, who owned the rights to the content of the back issues, who put together the CD. Since his demise I don't know who would own the rights to reproduce it - maybe someone else here does.

Ken

Thanks Ken,

It's sad to hear that George Salley has passed away. I'm sure it is ok if I was sent an issue. I'm reading The Wheatstone Concertina by Alan Atlas and he makes references to this volume of C&S, the one I don't have.

The specific pdf file I am searching for is "C&S 01 no 01.pdf" if anyone can sendspace it to me. Let me know if you have this file and I'll message you with my email address and instructions.

Much appreciated,

John

Edited by 4to5to6

• 2 weeks later...

PM sent with link to No1, so no need to scan Daniel.

I think George had just got his first scanner, and wanted to help pay for it. I got a copy, did anybody else?

George originally released these using a PDF file for every page, which was a bit unwieldy, so I 'sowed' them into a PDF file per issue, and sent them back to George with an HTML index. He said he'd use them for any future requests.

Thanks. Wes! it's good to know that you have these. What would you think of putting them up on your site, or on the ICA site? Do you think that would be consistent with George's wishes?

PM sent with link to No1, so no need to scan Daniel.

I think George had just got his first scanner, and wanted to help pay for it. I got a copy, did anybody else?

George originally released these using a PDF file for every page, which was a bit unwieldy, so I 'sowed' them into a PDF file per issue, and sent them back to George with an HTML index. He said he'd use them for any future requests.

Thanks. Wes! it's good to know that you have these. What would you think of putting them up on your site, or on the ICA site? Do you think that would be consistent with George's wishes?

They are already available in the 'ICA Archive', which is accessible by many concertina researchers, as well as ICA Committee Members. But it isn't generally open to the public. I didn't know George well, and we only ever chatted about his scans. I have plenty of space on my site to put them up. But what do others think?

Edit: Don't forget that Neil Wayne's Concertina Newsletter/Free Reed is available on the Concertina Museum site at http://www.concertinamuseum.com/FreeReed/CM-FRIndex.htm

Edited by wes williams

I did correspond with Geo (George) about this, when he inquired if it was appropriate to advertise the scans here on the forum (I said it certainly was). Without going into details that don't belong here, the circumstances under which C&S ceased publication left Geo owed some money, so he told me there was no doubt he was entitled to the rights to the old back issues. I think that was one motive for sharing the scans on CD-ROM for (IIRC) 20 dollars U.S. - to recover a little bit of it. Given this, I think the proper thing to do would be to track down his family and get permission to openly share the archive. My hunch is this permission would be readily granted, and it would be the right way to do it.

I know there are folks who knew Geo better than most of us and who could put us in touch with the right folks. Anyone out there?

Ken

The issue in question was briefly ( approximately ) indexed as follows :-

Winter 1983. Vol.1. No. 1. CONTENTS. Editorial, Types of Concertinas, ( Morris tunes for the English Concertina ? ) Castiglioni Review, Tunes " Bold Princess Royal ", " Children's Prayer ", ( Hansel & Gretel, ? Shenandoah ? ) Accompaniment with the Anglo, Dealer Review, Letters, Marketplace.

• 8 years later...
On 2/5/2024 at 4:40 PM, wes williams said:

I don't think any progress was made. However Daniel Hersh is now on the ICA committee and so has access to the PDF files in the ICA Archive and may wish to comment.

I do have indeed now have access to those files, but see below...

On 9/13/2015 at 1:23 PM, Ken_Coles said:

I did correspond with Geo (George) about this, when he inquired if it was appropriate to advertise the scans here on the forum (I said it certainly was). Without going into details that don't belong here, the circumstances under which C&S ceased publication left Geo owed some money, so he told me there was no doubt he was entitled to the rights to the old back issues. I think that was one motive for sharing the scans on CD-ROM for (IIRC) 20 dollars U.S. - to recover a little bit of it. Given this, I think the proper thing to do would be to track down his family and get permission to openly share the archive. My hunch is this permission would be readily granted, and it would be the right way to do it.

I know there are folks who knew Geo better than most of us and who could put us in touch with the right folks. Anyone out there?

Ken

Permissions and rights are indeed the issue here.  So far as I know, no one responded to Ken's question back in 2015.  I don't know how to reach Geo's family, and even if he felt he was entitled to the rights, I don't know if that is legally accurate.  So far as I know, Joel Cowan (who may also have a claim to the rights) is still alive, though he is not easy to find.  

All that having been said, if anyone wants a particular individual issue, send me a c.net private message.