Curiosity Poll.

Aldon

Do you play pennywhistle?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After reading the "What ya got" thread I noticed that several people mentioned that they also play pennywhistle.

As an avid whistler (2-3 hours a day, for my own fun) I'm curious to know how many others out there enjoy whistling.

If any of you visit the Chiff & Fipple forums you would know me as 'LimuHead'.

Here's what my whistle collection has in it:

- 5 Clarke original Ds.

- Susatos: D, C, Bb set; narrow bore sop. D; brown regular bore sop. D.

- 2 Feadogs in D

- 5 Sweetones in D. One in C

- Hoover sop. D with C thumbhole. + 1 whitecap on my Clare 2 piece.

- Sweetheart pro laminate (my stage whistle).

- Burke Composite sop. D (my favorite all-around whistle)

- Several Generations in as many keys.

- Laughing Whistle in D.

- 2 Oaks in D

- 1 Acorn

- 1 custom sop. D whistle with a low C hole (love the concept, don't care for the whistle.)

- 1 sop. D Water Weasel

- 1 Dixon High D Duo (the one with the whistle/flute heads).

- I also just bought an orange and black plastic toy whistle that says 'Hawaii' on it, on my recent trip back home. The 99 cent price tag was too tempting to pass up. It actually plays pretty well in the 1st octave....

Thanks for humoring me with your answers!

Aldon

Yes, I do play whistle -- but not in public! -- and I do look at the Chiff & Fipple board, but less and less, as the proportion of off-topic posts has reached ridiculous levels.

My whistles (more or less in descending order of use):

Syn (by Erle Bartlett) in D

Generation 'Folk' (green top) in D

Susato VSB non-tunable in D

Clarke Sweetone in D

Generation brass in C

On C&F my user name is CsharpD, from the tuning of my other free-reed, a two-row button accordion.

Auwe! You muss have som mangy hulu. :D

:lol:

For those not familiar with the Hawaiian language:

"Limu" is the Hawaiian word for seaweed.

"Limu Head" was my nickname back when I was younger and into surfing. My long curly hair looked like seaweed when it got wet. So my friends took to calling me 'Limu head'.

I haven't been surfing in a LONG time, and my hair is now cut short, but I still like the name.

Are you from Hawaii, too?

Edited by Aldon

Auwe! You muss have som mangy hulu. :D

:lol:

For those not familiar with the Hawaiian language:

"Limu" is the Hawaiian word for seaweed.

Are you from Hawaii, too?

Yup. My folks go back to the whaling days, so we're pretty local even if we're haole. I still have family there mostly on the Big Island. We can take this off-line fo' tok story so no baddah da ress.

I have lots of Generation whistles, mostly nickel, I think one brass. 1 each in F, C, Eb, a couple Bb's and many D's (I think they breed when I'm not looking).

I also play tabor pipe (which is just a pennywhistle where some of the holes fell off and one slipped to the under side). Do they count? Again, a few Generation D's, 2 Susato D's (one the old style, one the new), and a sweetheart low G.

BTW, I hardly ever play the 6-hole variety anymore. I'm much happier on the recorder. But the Pipe & Tabor gets a lot of use. I also play the tabor pipe in the car (you can play with one hand while driving with the other). I invented a word for the practice of playing the 3-hole flageolet in an automobile: Autoflageolation.

My collection tin whistles:

- Generation from F up to Bb nickel colored with blue mouthpiece

- Generation from F up to Bb brass colored with red mouthpiece

- 2 feadog stain in D

- 1 Oak in D

- 1 Overton (low G)

- 1 txistu form the Bask country. Can be played with one hand (3 holes). The other is not used for driving your car, but for beating a drum. At least that's what the do in Bask country David ;)

- A lot of wooden 6 holed stuff

- Some 6 holed PVC pipes, provied with a single plastic reed. It is the result of an experimenting period long time ago.

I forgot about other instruments:

- an autoharp from the former DDR

- a self-built small harp (somewhere on my attic)

- a few Appalachian dulcimers (I have built about 38 in the past)

- a self built hurdy-gurdy (now used as a decoration on the wall)

- a fiddle

Henk

Edited by Henk van Aalten

I play the Swannee Whistle .It was given to me by my Grandfather when I was about seven and I have played it ever since.It of course would never be taken seriously and the sound when played sounds similar to a wood saw being played with a fiddle bow.I have it in my concertina case whenever I go out and it reminds me of him when I play it.I have yet to meet anybody who actually plays one other than pull the plunger all the way up or down to give sound to someone falling over

or as an effect.

Regards

Alan

In Irish Traditional Music, it starts with an innocent little whistle - then, before you know it, you're hooked on the "hard drugs": wooden flutes and uilleann pipes! As a piper, I also own:

1 - 20+ year old "D" Feadog (my original whistle)

1 - "D" Susato

1 - "A" Susato

1 - "Bnat" Susato

Oh, the misery and shame of it all!

Regards,

Dick

I play the Swannee Whistle .It was given to me by my Grandfather when I was about seven and I have played it ever since.It of course would never be taken seriously and the sound when played sounds similar to a wood saw being played with a fiddle bow.I have it in my concertina case whenever I go out and it reminds me of him when I play it.I have yet to meet anybody who actually plays one other than pull the plunger all the way up or down to give sound to someone falling over or as an effect.

Sounds like what I know as a "slide whistle". For what it's worth, a guitarist friend of mine does a fine rendition of a Telemann sonata on the slide whistle, and has done so in concert.

Hallo Jim,

Sorry for my delay in answering.

Thank you for that information,it must be the same type of whistle played by your friend .It is nice to know there is at least one other mad person in the world other than me.

Take care

Alan

I'm too lazy to get up and count my whistles but there are a lot of them. I own Burke wide- and narrow-bore brass Ds , a Herbison Laughing whistle in D, Hoover PVC A & D, Hoover brass C, a Ralph Cook Low D, a Dixon Low D, a Howard Low D, a Shaw soprano D, and several Generations, Feadogs, Waltons, Clarkes (SweeTone and original wood-fipple), and Susatos. I've probably forgotten something. :unsure:

Rand