Novelty Buttons -- Whistles, Birdcalls, Baby Cries, Etc.

CrP

12 minutes ago, CrP said:

Thanks, seanc, Interesting how tastes change.

This is pure conjecture on my part. But, honestly, it’s the only thing that makes any sense to me.

Nobody HAD to have a Floyd Rose trem on their guitar until EVH “Eruption” then everybody had to have one..

I would assume the novelty buttons were a similar offering.

i would also assume that at the time. There were a ton of techs available and for short money, swapping a cuckoo back to a high F was probably an easy quick fix.

3 hours ago, seanc said:

There were a ton of techs available and for short money, swapping a cuckoo back to a high F was probably an easy quick fix.

Not necessarily; the novelty sound gadgets I've seen tend to be squeezed into a tiny chamber in the middle of the pan, too small to easily fit a pair of concertina reeds. I suspect manufacturers sometimes included them as a cheap gimmick that let them claim to have two more buttons. The whistle is very simple with no moving parts, and although the squawk/cry is a bit more complicated (it's a pair of small metal tubes with reeds in them), they could probably buy them in for pennies.

5 hours ago, Devils' Dream said:

Kimric Smyth has recently perfected a duck call that he has installed in melodeons...

Well, I was just about to post about this, but you've beat me to it! I should record a more thematically appropriate example with my now-much-improved facial hair.

This actually came out of a conversation I had with Kimric in which I bitterly complained about the lack of zany novelty buttons on modern concertinas. It's a smash hit with my Morris team. Guaranteed to break the ice at parties...