Jody's New Cd

I’ve been working hard on my latest CD. I used to think that it would feature blues and jazz, standards, soul and gospel material which work well for me on the Anglo concertina... but I’ve been entranced with so many songs recently that do not fit that format. So I’ve shifted gears and and focused instead on a collection of songs that are all about love and lust, courtship and romance. I’ve kept with the format of my last CD “Sing to me, Concertina Boy”... namely leaning toward comedy and music hall but also including many songs of a more serious nature. I like to call this mix, “songs from the silly to the sublime.”

Again on this latest recording, I’ve included a mix of songs from long ago with a few newly penned. These are all songs that I could perform solo in my live shows, though half of the arrangements recorded here include a range of other instruments and also choruses of singers which I do not bring with me on the road... shucks, it’s just a matter of bucks, I’m sure they would all love to come too.

Anyway, I’m pre-announcing my latest creation called Concertina Valentine which should be available November 1st if all goes as planned. More info as things develop...

In the meantime, here is a mock-up of the cover:

post-557-0-94531900-1408694628_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jody Kruskal

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm looking forward to November Jody - the two previous CDs have been (and still are!) just fabulous!

Pity that you didn't question the sympathetic public regarding which title to choose as this (you might recall: "Don't Reign in my Concertina" a.s.f.) had actually been what drew me into not only reading here... -_-

Best wishes - Wolf

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Well Wolf, it's never too late for you or anyone else to weigh in about the title. This thing has not been printed and if someone comes up with a better title in the next few weeks, I would be pleased to appropriate it. The last few recordings had a nice image that I wanted to use and they inspired some very funny captions in these forums. This album does not... not yet anyway, so I cobbled together what you see... not inspired, but I think it might just do. If any of you have ideas for a great image, I would love to see it. I've been looking at old valentines on the web but nothing has popped out yet.

To help you all with your title suggestions, if you are so inclined in helping me think of a better one, you should know that this album will have 16 songs of love and lust, courtship and romance. Yes, I'm playing Anglo concertina and singing on all of them both solo and with other musicians. I've got hits from the 20's, and 30's and earlier, a few college drinking songs from around then, a handful of traditional songs from the US, Canada and the UK, three settings of poems including a Les Barker gem... it's going to be a bit rude and suggestive at times but nothing raunchy (though I was tempted). Two of these will not be about romantic love at all, but rather romantic notions about rural life and hard work in the North woods.

So go ahead, see if you can put all that into two or three catchy words... I dare you!

So go ahead, see if you can put all that into two or three catchy words... I dare you!

"Seldom Accomplished Discreetly" ;)

I had thought up "The Pleasures of In and Out", but if it comes to a vote, I would vote for wayman's over my own. :)

I had thought up "The Pleasures of In and Out", but if it comes to a vote, I would vote for wayman's over my own. :)

sorry Jim...

quote Jody: "it's going to be a bit rude and suggestive at times but nothing raunchy." So yours is out... :D

a risky post Rüdiger, since there's no evidence of Jim's understanding of his own suggestion being as raunchy as apparently yours is... :ph34r:

sorry Jim...

quote Jody: "it's going to be a bit rude and suggestive at times but nothing raunchy." So yours is out... :D

Raunchy is muchly in the mind of the beholder, though also culturally based. Here in Scandinavia, few would consider my contribution to be "raunchy", and not just because it's a double entendre (at least for anglo and melodeon players). The summer is routinely announced by Danish tabloids with a full front page close up photo of a topless woman on the beach, which is also prominently displayed on sandwich boards outside supermarkets. Yawn.

sorry Jim...

Raunchy is muchly in the mind of the beholder, though also culturally based. Here in Scandinavia, few would consider my contribution to be "raunchy", and not just because it's a double entendre (at least for anglo and melodeon players). The summer is routinely announced by Danish tabloids with a full front page close up photo of a topless woman on the beach, which is also prominently displayed on sandwich boards outside supermarkets. Yawn.

aw, cmon Jim. Even though the Gentleman in you would never come up with something as rude as I may (or may not ;) ) have suggested (I don't know what Wolf thought of, but the phrase "in and out" can be associated with a lot of different meanings in relationship contexts everywhere on any raunchiness scale), the language afficionado in you never lets even the puniest (let alone pun-iest) double meaning escape, so the potential for abuse of your title suggestion can't be but obvious to you.

In any case, apologies to Jody for taking his promotion thread astray; just like you, I just can't help jumping in on temptations to play with language. Coming back to the original topic, I'm very much looking forward to the CD, and thumbs up to Jody for his work.

Yes that's the stuff... well sort of. I like to think that my selections in the same genre are just a notch more elevated above this disgusting display of double entendre that Big Nick was capable of. ( Got to add "Hot Meat" to my must learn list).

In looking over my CD track list I see that only two out of 16 of my songs come even close, and those two miss by quite a margin.

So... no. That's close but not quite what I'm presenting. This is not a raunch fest CD but rather a charming and mostly antique look at the complexity of romantic relationships and romantic notions of love in general, including unrequited love, rejected love, advice to young women looking for a man, unabashed appreciation for sex on it's own merits, unabashed appreciation for fun and sex in search of a mate, hero worship, Victorian sexual repression, love of work, love of place and a healthy helping of total silliness.

I hope that makes things perfectly clear.

Well, if we're talking raunchy, you could always sing Big Nick Robertshaw's 'Hot Meat.' That might even qualify as raunchy in Scandinavia! Not a good recording, alas, but the only video extant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbahVkz0h0Y

Hmm. I think that should be in a medley with "A Little Bit of Cucumber". Not sure which should be first, though.

Thanks for your suggestions Jim and Will. Both are superb. Keep 'em coming and if anyone has an image for the cover to suggest I'm sure we could all come up with a good caption.

post-160-0-09904100-1408966788_thumb.jpg

I cannot remember who sent this to me - the file properties show it was 3 years ago. I do not know if there are any copyright issues.

regards

John

Yes that's the stuff... well sort of. I like to think that my selections in the same genre are just a notch more elevated above this disgusting display of double entendre that Big Nick was capable of. ( Got to add "Hot Meat" to my must learn list).

In looking over my CD track list I see that only two out of 16 of my songs come even close, and those two miss by quite a margin.

So... no. That's close but not quite what I'm presenting. This is not a raunch fest CD but rather a charming and mostly antique look at the complexity of romantic relationships and romantic notions of love in general, including unrequited love, rejected love, advice to young women looking for a man, unabashed appreciation for sex on it's own merits, unabashed appreciation for fun and sex in search of a mate, hero worship, Victorian sexual repression, love of work, love of place and a healthy helping of total silliness.

I hope that makes things perfectly clear.

Well, there's always The Saucy Little Bird on Nellie's Hat. Sounds like a perfect Jody song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utGzSycKlrM

Thanks for your suggestions Jim and Will. Both are superb. Keep 'em coming and if anyone has an image for the cover to suggest I'm sure we could all come up with a good caption.

attachicon.gifsketch.jpg

I cannot remember who sent this to me - the file properties show it was 3 years ago. I do not know if there are any copyright issues.

regards

John

Looks pretty appropriate John - and would even make a fine title:

The Parts Where I Can Squeeze

Best regards - Wolf