How Far Gone Is This Edeo?

There is an Edeophone up for sale on eBay that looks like it has been through the wars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261300610658?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The seller has posted lots of good resolution pictures and made no attempt to fix anything. I have no interest in buying (or selling) this box, but I am curious on what the restorers think about it.

Is it recoverable, or is it done?

A few days work would replace the bellows and the ebony veneer, and it would then look great externally. The hard part is gauging how bad the rust on the reeds is and whether the boards are warped or cracked. The simple answer to your question, yes, very recoverable.

A few things to consider: The bellows look like a poor bet for restoration. Bellows replacement (for a nine inch diameter 12-sided with at least 8 folds....$800+ USD(?)

Modifications have been done to eliminate the Edeo strap cams and holes drilled for conventional strap screws. Easily to fix and cover the new holes but difficult to find Edeo cams. The baffling has been (crudely?) attached with screws through the fret work. No easy restoration there. These kind of modifications make me wonder what else may have been done by previous owners.

The rust on the clamp screws may be cautionary. Depending on how and where the instrument was stored that rust may be on the "good" side....

Edeo sides are mahogany which can resist staying glued. The integrity of the sides may need a fair amount of attention in addition to the veneer replacement.

Then there is the (mahogany) button board, and condition of the reed pan and action board to consider. The quality of the filing on the higher reeds looks a bit suspicious to me from the one picture.

IMHO definitely worth a restoration effort but I suspect it might involve a considerable investment of $2000+ to put back in playing shape with perhaps a cost of $3000 to restore completely. Not a project for the faint of heart.

Greg

I tend to think that this instrument could be resurrected, my main concern would be the condition of the reeds, especially as the bellows appear mouldy from damp storage. I would wish to see photos of both sides of each reed pan, or be very sure of access to a wide range of low cost exchange reeds (which is not going to happen).

The only thing which cannot be replaced is a set of reeds, and reed pans, the odd reed or two yes, reed pans can usually be mended, but a set of reeds, no. Bellows etc are straight forward. My advice, always be sure of the reeds.

Dave

There is an Edeophone up for sale on eBay that looks like it has been through the wars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261300610658?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The seller has posted lots of good resolution pictures and made no attempt to fix anything. I have no interest in buying (or selling) this box, but I am curious on what the restorers think about it.

Is it recoverable, or is it done?

Sold for $1325.

I thought it was worth a punt at $1300. After all, a baritone/treble Eddie doesn't turn up every day. But someone else was obviously a bit braver than me. I notice that even Chris Algar only bid $1100, so maybe the successful bidder saved me from my own folly! Incidentally, why 63 buttons? Wouldn't we normally have expected 64?