Sign in to follow this  
celtictiger

He's Back

They won't be happy. I'd be willing to bet that he will come up with some excuse to cancel the auction before it ends. He recently posted it at a starting price of about $3,800, pulled it, listed it at about $4,800, no bids, listed it at about $6,200, and once more no bids. So if he prices it where someone might bid, that's too low in his mind and so he pulls it before it's over. This is one sick creature.

Ross Schlabach

Great entertainment though!!

I'd rather find it minor - but anyway, somehwat diverting... B)

Can't he be reported to ebay for misbehaving over his selling practices, he had lots of bids.

I suspect he has a mental problem....and yes, ebay should do something about him!

Edited by Paul Read

The sale was terminated because there was "an error in the listing". Since I can't see any difference in the new posting, that looks like an excuse for termination he thinks he can get away with. As we know, the reality is that the bidders didn't bid high enough early enough to give him confidence he was going to get his target yield.

The reality is that he has just alienated a bunch of bidders and the re-run of the auction is likely to go even slower than the previous time. He suffers from (fairly common, to be honest) misperceptions about how best to make use of auctions, and how markets for valuable assets work, which is a bit sad for a dealer selling valuable items on ebay, but I don't think necessarily puts him in the category that #8 suggests.

The reality is that he has just alienated a bunch of bidders and the re-run of the auction is likely to go even slower than the previous time. He suffers from (fairly common, to be honest) misperceptions about how best to make use of auctions, and how markets for valuable assets work, which is a bit sad for a dealer selling valuable items on ebay, but I don't think necessarily puts him in the category that #8 suggests.

IMO this is a well balanced comment - no reason for sort of a witch hunt... :mellow:

I didn't follow this through properly before. I overlooked that his readvertisement is at precisely 10 times the previous starting price, ie €4,800 rather than €480. Plainly his "error" in the earlier listing was that he missed a zero off. He never intended to have that auction at all.

The sad thing is that it is a lovely looking instrument but not a very good player (I've tried it as have others). My comment was based not only on my history of him but also the (apparently) illogical moves he makes with listing it (e.g. it doesn't sell so he relists at a higher price etc). Not sure I'd label this a witch hunt.....

Edited by Paul Read

Not sure I'd label this a witch hunt.....

Of course you're right - I hereby withdraw this comment which had been made in the face of that other labelling ("mental problem"). It's just that I'm sort of attentive as to pointing a finger to sb. in public.

OTOH I hadn't been aware of your former experiences with that seller (and the instrument as well). Thus you may well be annoyed at him...