Concertinas Wanted For Display

After talking to several makers, Frank E. and Rich M., who will be at the NESI, have volunteered to be part of a panel or forum of concertina makers I proposed to organize. This is to highlight current makers and their instruments rather than the vintage boxes. (What I've called the Second Age of concertina making.) I thought it would also be fun to set out examples for the uninitiated to look at. If these gents bring examples of their own and I have mine, we have Edgley, Morse, Geuns-Wakker, and Kensington covered. If anyone will be there with a Norman/Marcus/Herrington/Tedrow/Connor or any of the top end U.K./German makes or even recent Stagi or Chinese instruments, let us know if you'd like to participate. What I envision is setting up a table (Rich, maybe we can snag the barn for this get together?) before/during/after the hour - not very long in the context of the whole weekend. All systems welcome, we're not just talking anglos here.

Bob T. is not coming but if other makers show up (Dana J.? Wally C? John O'S?) we'd love to have them on the panel as well.

That sounds like a good adjunct to the Makers Roundtable workshop that is rumored. The barn should be an ideal place for the MRW as well as for some display of current makers' wares. Maybe we could set aside a spot in the adjacent room where the Button Box sets up shop so that those concertinas can be on "view" for longer than just a couple hours.

Sounds like Bob T. isn't coming though there's a chance that he'll send one up by way of someone? Is the rumour true? I hope so. His red box got a lot of attention and positive comments last year.

Dana is still has toddleritis.... maybe next year?

The Button Box will have lots of Stagis so they'll be well represented. It really would be great to have those other guys show up. Or if not them - at least one of their instruments!

That sounds like a good adjunct to the Makers Roundtable workshop that is rumored. The barn should be an ideal place for the MRW as well as for some display of current makers' wares. Maybe we could set aside a spot in the adjacent room where the Button Box sets up shop so that those concertinas can be on "view" for longer than just a couple hours.

We could do that, but I was thinking of folks who own and play these various makes as a primary instrument. My guess is some of (all of) them would want to _play_ their own instruments most of the weekend rather than leave them on long-term display, so I am just proposing to display them for, say, 15 minutes before and after the Panel. Folks who want to see more can then seek out the identified owners, which happens every year at the Squeeze-In anyway.

Of course, if someone volunteers theirs for display (like the Tedrow and Edgley out last year) of course we know you'll accomodate that.

I was going to refer to this as a Roundtable instead of a Panel, but the tables i recall there are all rectangular! :)

Since you are on the inside Rich, I'm sure you can get us a good time slot in the barn! ;)

Ken

Sounds like Bob T. isn't coming though there's a chance that he'll send one up by way of someone? Is the rumour true?

In another thread I volunteered to "chaperone" one of his Haydens, but I haven't heard a response from him.

I offered to chaperone one of his anglos so it might come up with me, or perhaps with an actual anglo player. It sounds like we'll see a Tedrow concertina there, but don't expect a Tedrow Hayden.

bruce boysen

Edited by BruceB

I'm sure I can handle it, Bob!

Too bad we don't have conferencing wired up at Bucksteep Manor (though I'll bet Dave Barnert has high tech access, he always seems to), or we could wire you in!

I hope it has quit raining down there; we've had buckets of rain all day in Pennsylvania from what is left of hurricane Frances.