Can anyone identify this pease

ChrisD

Hello,

I have just bought this 48-key English (see attached). The maker's name is missing from the end plate and I haven't taken a screw driver to it (yet) to look inside.

It has metal ends, metal buttons and five folds. Is the pattern in the ends sufficient to make a reasonable guess as to age/maker etc.?

It is concert pitch and the buttons up to the equivalent of a 30 button instrument are OK. The higher notes need attention, but cleaning may be enough. I believe the instrument has been sitting in its box unplayed for about 10 years. It came with a hexagonal wooden box with a hinged lid -- again no maker's name.

Thanks,

Chris

post-10186-0-81663500-1346327981_thumb.jpg post-10186-0-96857400-1346328022_thumb.jpg

If the screws that attach the little finger plate are 'in-line' then this would suggest Wheatstone... but they look to be slightly off set so I'd go with DDF and say its a Lachenal from the turn of the century.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

If the screws that attach the little finger plate are 'in-line' then this would suggest Wheatstone... but they look to be slightly off set so I'd go with DDF and say its a Lachenal from the turn of the century.

And, looks like, fitted with bowing valve ?? so post 1895/6.

Geoffrey

• 1 month later...
This is not to dispute that it has hooks and levers, but I can't see them. Can you rub my nose in what I need to see?? Thanks.

The key thing to look for is actually pivot posts. You can look through the fretwork and pretty clearly see a Lachenal-style slotted post (as opposed to the riveted posts used by most other manufacturers) in the upper left section of the end-on picture. There some other visible ones too, but that one looked clearest to me.