Morse Ceili around somewhere?

Hello people!

I joined years ago when I first was interested in the concertina, and then found an old used Wheatstone EC that I bought for 80 SEK (!!!) in a shop in Göteborg. Some of you know me (you know who you are!) The Wheatstone was away for repair for a long time and in the meantime I bought a cheap anglo when I lived in Ireland. I've even forgotten how to play the English, and will now if all goes well soon finally be able to upgrade to a better anglo that doesn't try to kill me every time I try to move the bellows (even if the bellows are now much smoother than before). However, I will NOT spend enormous amounts, I'm not after a fancy high end thing, just a reasonable one and will happily play a used one.

But, I've been asking about this before and found the Morse Ceili and people said it is nice, light, sounds good, plus it has a nice price. The problem is I just realized that they come from the US. I won't buy anything before test playing. So, does anyone have a Morse Ceili around in northern Europe? I'd be glad if I don't have to go anywhere else than Scandinavia (will be near Roskilde, Denmark, in mid September), England, Ireland or Italy.

When I'm more sure about actually upgrading and not just checking, I'll post on the buy & sell forum.

And thanks in advance!

Susi

Hello people!

I joined years ago when I first was interested in the concertina, and then found an old used Wheatstone EC that I bought for 80 SEK (!!!) in a shop in Göteborg. Some of you know me (you know who you are!) The Wheatstone was away for repair for a long time and in the meantime I bought a cheap anglo when I lived in Ireland. I've even forgotten how to play the English, and will now if all goes well soon finally be able to upgrade to a better anglo that doesn't try to kill me every time I try to move the bellows (even if the bellows are now much smoother than before). However, I will NOT spend enormous amounts, I'm not after a fancy high end thing, just a reasonable one and will happily play a used one.

But, I've been asking about this before and found the Morse Ceili and people said it is nice, light, sounds good, plus it has a nice price. The problem is I just realized that they come from the US. I won't buy anything before test playing. So, does anyone have a Morse Ceili around in northern Europe? I'd be glad if I don't have to go anywhere else than Scandinavia (will be near Roskilde, Denmark, in mid September), England, Ireland or Italy.

When I'm more sure about actually upgrading and not just checking, I'll post on the buy & sell forum.

And thanks in advance!

Susi

I think that the Button Box has a try before buy (or order to be made) scheme, but it might not apply to non-US customers. Try contacting them through their website.

Also, the Music Room in the UK seem to have several in stock.

Don.

Also, the Music Room in the UK seem to have several in stock.

Don.

I can confirm that The Music Room in Cleckheaton, Yorkshire does indeed have a Morse Ceili on the shelf availble to try. I've tried it myself, it is very nice, light and fast, a great instrument.

They also have a Marcus, which is slightly less expensive, only slightly heavier (still light) also fast, and has perhaps a richer tone, so also a great instrument.

Personally I'm torn between the two, which has so far saved my wallet, but might spell disaster instead if I get silly and buy both.

They also have a number of vintage instruments, so you would get a real chance to compare instruments before buying, if you find your way there.

website is here: www.themusicroom-online.co.uk

Edited by Tradewinds Ted

Oh yaay!! They actually sell them in the UK? That's great! Thanks so much. I didn't know Marcus also had anglos. But if the Morse is lighter I'll definitely go for one of those.

So now I'll plan for a trip to England this autumn. (know of any good music events close by?)

Oh yaay!! They actually sell them in the UK? That's great! Thanks so much. I didn't know Marcus also had anglos. But if the Morse is lighter I'll definitely go for one of those.

So now I'll plan for a trip to England this autumn. (know of any good music events close by?)

Concertinas at Witney runs on the last weekend in September.

Check this website for a list of festivals.

http://ukfolkfestivals.co.uk/viewall.php

bet wishes

John Wild

So, does anyone have a Morse Ceili around in northern Europe?

Hi Susi.

There was a Ceili in Copenhagen, and although I haven't been in touch with the owner for several years, I suspect he still has it. I'll try to get in touch with him again, to ask about it and whether you can visit him to try it out. I'll PM you when I know more.

I have a Morse Ceili that I am selling. It is a couple of months old and is virtually new. I think they are great instruments. I was friendly with Rich Morse when he was developing the concertina.

The Morse concertinas get better the more they are played. They are very light and very responsive. They are very close to a true concertina-reed sound.

So, does anyone have a Morse Ceili around in northern Europe?

Hi Susi.

There was a Ceili in Copenhagen, and although I haven't been in touch with the owner for several years, I suspect he still has it. I'll try to get in touch with him again, to ask about it and whether you can visit him to try it out. I'll PM you when I know more.

That is brilliant, right now I don't remember if I stop by in Copenhagen on my way to/from Kattinge (that's where I'm going in September) but I think so.

I lent/sold my Ceili to a friend just outside of Oslo. I am sure that would be available for a try out if we know you are coming.

I'll definitely contact you if I can get to Oslo, which is not at all unlikely since my husband works there a lot.

David and Brendan, I pm'd you both.

So I have a few options now, nice :). I'll get in touch with you peeps about Denmark or Oslo, whatever seems most convenient.

It would have been fabulous to go to Witney! This year it's not possible because of my work situation, but my concertina friend and myself decided that we'll go next year, both to the SSI here in Sweden, and to Witney.