Kriser?

There's a listing on ebay currently for a 30 button anglo that looks alot like the Rochelle I'm renting but is claimed to be a "Kriser". Anyone ever hear of such a brand? I asked the seller for sound/vid samples and they said they'd try. Here's the url:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=150841843345

Thanks, Mark

Have I been missing something here, all these years?---accordions with bamboo reeds? It may look like a Rochelle, but..... A few years ago, now, I was teaching the concertina class at the Celtic College in Goderich. One of the students had a simlar (if not identical) instrument with a stuck button. It was a newly-purchased concertina. I said I would fix it at the next break.....not so easy, as the access to the mechanism had been glued shut.

Hilarious. Made my day, that did. As well as the bamboo reeds one should also watch out for the reed reeds. Not good to use, vegetation ...

But seriously knock-offs of the Rochelle have been around almost as long as the Rochelle and this looks to be another such.

Chris

But seriously knock-offs of the Rochelle have been around almost as long as the Rochelle and this looks to be another such.

I was under the impression that the Chinese knock-offs actually came first and that Wim accessed the factory making them and had his Rochelle, Jack and Jackie concertinas made there using the same boxes but with better reeds and then some QC in the US once he received them.

Don.

I was under the impression that the Chinese knock-offs actually came first and that Wim accessed the factory making them and had his Rochelle, Jack and Jackie concertinas made there using the same boxes but with better reeds and then some QC in the US once he received them.

Don.

I don't think that's quite right. For one thing, I believe that the Rochelle/Jackie action wasn't like anything that was made in China before.

Seller also has Cajun accordions listed; part of the description goes:

"IT IS THE SAME ACCORDION THAT HAS BEEN PLAYED IN CAJUN AND CREOLE BANDS FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS. IT DOESN'T HAVE BAMBOO REEDS....etc"

Thousands of years???

So we've got our free reed history all wrong. Might come as a shock to the folk over on melodeon.net :D :huh: :o