Concertina & Posture

LDT

I've noticed (with anglo players) there seems to be two different 'postures'.

The bent over, elbows sticking out posture.

The sitting up straight, concertina held as far away as possible posture.

(and several degrees in between)

So why did you come to use that 'posture', what are the advantages dis-advantages?

I think I err towards ear as near to concertina as I can get as I try to hear myself.

I would advise the sitting up straight posture, but you will soon know if you go on a weeks festival and if your back is aching badly at the end of it your posture is wrong. I remember only too well that after a week at Sidmouth, about twenty years ago, that I suffered two weeks of muscular back spasms that were absolute agony .

I always admire fiddle players that sit bolt upright and have a lovely posture. Mine is much more relaxed these days, but I have a lot of room for improvement.

Al

I think I err towards ear as near to concertina as I can get as I try to hear myself.

Do that, and, as Al says, you are liable to be doing your back health no favours at all. Crouching over the tina means that you are tensing up and overusing some muscles and underusing others. You then end up with your back muscles going into spasm. And anyway, sitting hunched up over your instrument like that looks pretty awful to the beholder as well. Upright and relaxed, not tensed up, is best for any instrument (or indeed sitting in general).

Thinks, must dig out my books on Alexander Technique, and start putting it all back into practice again! :D

As a Morris player my primary posture is standing up, trying to avoid getting hit by errant sticks. In bands, I've found that I get much more energy into my playing when standing. Sitting is fine for waltzes and such.

I try to sit straight up with the concertina supported on my knee at a comfortable distance so my arms are in a relaxed position.

I have a bit of weakness at the bottom of my back as the result of a fall many years ago and try to ensure when I am sat for any length time that my back is properly supported or I pay for it later.

I don't play my concertina much in tune sessions preferring flute/recorder and harmonica for tunes. I mainly sing with my concertina so adopting that position is better for singing as well. I must admit that playing wind instruments, it is easier to hear what you are doing when playing with others, but it's surprising how, after a time, you do get to sense what you are doing.

Anyway, you usually know when your fingers are going wrong anyway. :unsure: :o

Geoff

...different 'postures'...

Whether sitting or standing, I find that an upright back is best, both for the health of my back and for control of the instrument.

But my posture is constantly varying, never rigid.

This helps avoid individual muscles' becoming overly tired or tense.

I find that I have to keep reminding myself to sit upright when seated.

If I am in the pub I try to sit on a chair with a back to it rather than a stool as this helps a great deal.

For performances with a ceilidh band or in concert I prefer to stand with a foot upon an object about chair seat height and so get the best of both worlds!

Robin Madge