Totally Off-topic

I'm sorry, I don't usually pass this sort of thing on, but this made me laugh like a drain:-

The DVLA at Swansea is sending out warning letters to drivers as follows :

"In order to assist other motorists in identifying potentially dangerous

drivers,  it's now compulsory for anyone with a lower than average driving

ability to display a warning flag.

The flag (comprising of a red cross on a white background) will be

attached to the top of at least one door of their vehicle.

For drivers of exceptionally low ability, additional flags are required."

Chris

I'm sorry, I don't usually pass this sort of thing on, but this made me laugh like a drain:-
The DVLA at Swansea is sending out warning letters to drivers as follows :

"In order to assist other motorists in identifying potentially dangerous

drivers,  it's now compulsory for anyone with a lower than average driving

ability to display a warning flag.

The flag (comprising of a red cross on a white background) will be

attached to the top of at least one door of their vehicle.

For drivers of exceptionally low ability, additional flags are required."

Chris

Surely not! A little unexpected anti-English sentiment coming out of Wales....

As one who used to live near the (English) end of the Severn Bridge (in the days when there was only one of it!), and having driven regularly in Wales, I think this could be described as the pot calling the kettle black. Or not so much a pot as a little saucepan.

Sosban Fach, now there's a lovely tune for concertina!

Back on topic! All's well again. :)

Yes, I was home the other week & saw all these flags, they look remarkably like a St. George's cross don't you think ? I thought England must be playing in a football tournament or something, so thanks for putting me right ! (The standard of driving must have got very bad, I saw lots of them, in fact most cars had two, & some even had four !) ;)

Sorry, Malcolm, as I said, not readily compehensible outside England. Somebody in China has made literally millions (8 million to date, I've been told) cross of St George flags on sticks, and with the Euro 2004 football competition in full swing, literally millions of people are driving around with these ... things sticking out their car windows. At least, as the spoof suggests, it enable you to spot the loonies from quite a long way away.

Chris

Don`t tell anyone Chris but I had one!! I picked it up on the way home from the George on Monday.The nexy day my wife wound down the window as it was a hot day and it was gone forever.Like most of them, if we lose in about two hours from now.

As to my driving "No comment".

Al

In order to assist other motorists in identifying potentially dangerous drivers,  it's now compulsory for anyone with a lower than average driving ability to display a warning flag.

The flag (comprising of a red cross on a white background) will be attached to the top of at least one door of their vehicle.

I've always expected that of ambulance drivers. ;)

Sorry, Malcolm, as I said, not readily compehensible outside England. Somebody in China has made literally millions (8 million to date, I've been told) cross of St George flags on sticks, and with the Euro 2004 football competition in full swing, literally millions of people are driving around with these ... things sticking out their car windows. At least, as the spoof suggests, it enable you to spot the loonies from quite a long way away.

Chris

Thanks, Chris, for the explanation. I had wrongly assumed it was a comment on the driving behaviour, or lack of it, amongst all English drivers, not just the soccer tragics.

Remainder of this post deleted by writer.

Regards

Malcolm

Edited to placate off-list emailer who does not share my sense of humour. I apologise to all Welsh drivers and those who believe the words of Sosban Fach (The Little Saucepan) are deep, meaningful and patriotic.

Edited by malcolm clapp

All this football is wonderful. We havn't watched any and BBC2 have treated us to a season of opera - Britten Turn of the screw, Mozart Don Giovanni and at the weekend, Verdi Faust.

Much more relaxing than football and DGio provides some super tunes to play on concertina!!

If England don't make it into the quarter final, how many days before we see dead flags everywhere - or are the remedials going to heed the DVLA directive and keep flying the warning?

They make flags like this for the sports teams over here too (I'm near Philadelphia). They're most prominent during the season for a particular sport, but sometimes you'll see a tattered and faded one still on a car months after the season has ended. That's when you know to REALLY keep your distance!

:o

Steven

The central reservation of the motorway is littered with these flags, some people have not realised that the increased drag not only puts up fuel bills by 2%/ flag, but also peels the flags off the faster you go.

Some patriotic person has designed an embelishment whereby the lion symbol is incorporated into the quadrants, but its the lion of Scotland not England.

D

Can't we make musicians wear a flag like this too? So that way when you go see a band or performer, and one or more of them are poor musicians, you can know when to duck out for a bathroom or beer break.

How about little flags displaying the letters "Pb", to indicate a fanatic fixation on heavy-metal music.? (The only concertinas they would play would be those with lead-weighted reeds, of course.)

Is that why some concertinas have a patch of velcro on both ends?

Almost. Warning flags are issued to all non-Aeola players in the hope that they might take heed before it is too late.:)

Chris

PS I note that at the top of the screen as I write there is an "Ad by Google" that is trying to inveigle me into trying "Jeffries Banking". Feel as if I'm being bowled a bit of a googly there.

Edited by Chris Timson