How Much Is A Jeffries Worth?

Can anybody out there help me? I am considering selling my Jeffries anglo which is in perfect playing condition as I am considering downgrading to a lesser model. I paid a high price for it a couple of years ago as it was and still is in perfect condition. I am wondering what it would be worth now if I should put it on the market? No photo available at the moment. 30 buttons C/G 7 fold bellows.

Edited by Hugo

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Give this careful consideration Hugo,you may regret this decision in a few years.Financial difficulties aside, Jeffries are on their way back up after a short slump,once sold getting one in the future may be a very costly excersize. My advice would be ,try to hang on to it if you can.

Al

30 buttons C/G 7 fold bellows.

Thanks. You are looking on the high side of 3000 quid, I should have thought.

There are a number of reasons for downgrading. Last year I sold a beautiful Dickinson C/G and replaced it with a Lach rosewood and pocketted the 2k pounds diference. This suited me well, because my playing habits had changed (I now mostly play G/D and baritone C/G) and the Dickinson didn't come out of its box from one month to the next. This didn't seem right to me - someone should have it. On the other hand I didn't want to be without any treble C/G - for one thing all workshops seem to asssume that system. I'm happy with my decision - the Lach is a sweet little thing.

So, Alan, while basically I agree with you, there are other issues, and downgrading may be the right decision for Hugo.

Chris

I tend to agree with Chris. If it isn't being played, let somebody else have the benefit of its use and get something more useful with the money, (in my case a couple of nice melodeons).

I sold my CJeffries C/G to a good home recently because I wasn't playing Irish style and it wasn't being used, my main squeeze being a G/D JBros.

Not wanting to be without a C/G of some sort, just in case, I acquired a Morse Ceili with which I am most impressed. Well made, as fast as my Jeffries and with equivalent dynamics, a lot less weight, and I'm getting interested again in the style of Irish music that I felt I *should* have been playing on the neglected Jeffries!

Careful, though, with the use of the word "downgrade". I don't consider that I have downgraded, just re-assessed my musical priorities. True, there may be features of a Jeffries not found in a Morse Ceili, e.g. investment potential, proven longlevity, perhaps a slight lack of lower partials in the tone of the accordion-type reeds of the Morse, maybe other things I have not yet discovered. But not to me a downgrade.

Having said that, I don't think I shall replace my G/D with a Morse at present, but if I needed 3,000 quid or so in a hurry one day.... ;)

Regards

Malcolm Clapp

Having said that, I don't think I shall replace my G/D with a Morse at present, but if I needed 3,000 quid or so in a hurry one day.... ;)

Please inform me when that day has come.. I can be very patient ;)

More serious: I appreciate the quality answers of Allan, Chris and Malcolm. It gives a lot of info on considerations that go through a concertina-player's mind and some extra info on the "modern middle class" concertinas.

There's a long, long queue... Don't hold your breath. :D

There's a long, long queue... Don't hold your breath. :D

So when the time comes, you'll be holding a Chinese auction, though Henk would prefer a Dutch auction?

Edited to fix a quote-tag error.

Edited by JimLucas

I know many of you will not agree with me but if one of my Jeffries was stolen lets say 38 button ,I would expect to pay £4000 for an exact replacement.New hand built concertinas are in that region and they will not be better than Jeffries (equvelant to, but not better).I have them insured for that figure.

I do agree that a thirty button Jeffries would be in the region of £3000.

If the Japanese/Chinese interest increases I would not be at all suprised to see these prices soar in the next 5 - 10 years.

Al

So when the time comes, you'll be holding a Chinese auction, though Henk would prefer a Dutch auction?

Jim

I do not exactly know what you mean with the word Dutch in this case. However I'm afraid it is not very positive!

Up till now I never found a meaning of the word Dutch, that indicates something positive. It is all negative and one neutral (in "Dutch language"?).

This originates from the times we had our sea battles with the English, with the climax during the battle at Chatham, when "we" sailed up the Thames, through a very heavy iron chain on our way to London.

This chain was of course seriously ruined and history tells that it was used much later as a raw material to prepare the steel used for concertina-reeds. That's why the sound of steel reeds is so highly appreciated: they have the glorious sound of (Dutch) victory :lol: !!!

Up till now I never found a meaning of the word Dutch, that indicates something positive.

Hi Henk,

Hang around near an American liberal arts college and you will probably encounter some positive connotations of the word "Dutch"... but I don't think that's what you were looking for! ;)

-Andy

In England, "going dutch" means that you will split the bill equally (or fairly) - such as when you go out for a meal with someone. So effectively people will pay their share. Believe me going dutch is preferable to when the entire bill has to come out of my pocket!

:D

I do not exactly know what you mean with the word Dutch in this case. However I'm afraid it is not very positive!

Up till now I never found a meaning of the word Dutch, that indicates something positive. It is all negative and one neutral (in "Dutch language"?).

There are many people who admire the Dutch and things Dutch. But "Dutch auction" is a standard term (at least in America) for "an auction in which an item is initially offered at a high price that is progressively lowered until a bid is made and the item sold." I'm not aware of any negative connotation to that.

We also have terms such as "Dutch doors" (basically neutral, though some people consider them a superior design), "Dutch oven" (neutral, again, but with some very positive enthusiasts), and "Dutch treat": "An outing, as for dinner or a movie, in which all persons pay their own expenses." That latter should be very popular with feminists who think it's demeaning for a man to pay the expenses of the woman who accompanies him.

"Chinese auction", on the other hand, is a term I made up, in order to make a pun.

On the third hand, the "Dutch language" has been considered to be quite negative by many an English speaker who has tried to pronounce all those "g" and "ch" consonants. The vowel combinations "eu", "ui", and "ij", on the other hand, while impossible to get correct, are at least not painful to attempt. ;)

This originates from the times we had our sea battles with the English, with the climax during the battle at Chatham, when "we" sailed up the Thames, through a very heavy iron chain on our way to London.

Although this "raid" did take place it is not common knowledge in this country (England). In fact I only found out about it on a visit to Chatham Dockyard last summer. When we do refer to it we call it the "Medway Raid" but I understand the Dutch call it the "Battle of Chatham".

However Henk, your geography is slightly off as Chatham is on the River Medway not the River Thames, and the chain was (at Upnor Castle) to protect the Naval Dockyard at Chatham. (Now a tourist attraction, there are also some details of the raid on the website Chatham Historic Dockyard).

Please don't attack again as the only ships there now are retired lifeboats, submarines and warships. :D

...we call it the "Medway Raid" but I understand the Dutch call it the "Battle of Chatham".

I understand that what Americans call their "War of Independence" or "Revolutionary War", the British call "the unpleasantness with the Colonies." ;)

Please don't attack again as the only ships there now are retired lifeboats, submarines and warships.  :D

Hmm. Maybe now is the time for the Danes to come reclaim their navy. :D

Andy, Peter, Jim

Although very off-topic, I learned a lot from your answers! So there is more than "Dutch Courage" and "Double Dutch".

B.T.W.: while browsing in Websters, I discovered something sensational:

A DOUBLE DIPPER!!

So finally we are back at the subject of concertina's and not so off-topic after all :)

There's another USA term: Pennsylvania Dutch. This term is used to describe a group of people who settled in the Pennsylvania area in the early part of our country's history. But actually the proper term should have been Pennsylvania Deutsch because these settlers were German immigrants. Nevertheless, the term Pennsylvania Dutch has stuck to this day and these folks are highly regarded for their farming prowess and wonderful food. One could do worse than be called Pennsylvania Dutch -- I am one! :D