Rusty reed tongue

Can you feed us some more details? What kind of instrument is it? Any chance you can take and post some pictures, esp. of the reeds? You may need some more sophisticated advice (available from several folks here) about what needs doing, if anything.

Ken

I would stay away from steel wool as you are likely to get many little fibres stopping up the reeds. Start with supporting the reed tongue with a razor blade, by inserting the blade under the tongue. Scrape off the surface rust using a stiff-backed razor blade or similar. Use the blade to scrape the rust off the edges of the reed tongue. Remove the support from under the tongue, flip the reed over and using a very small screwdriver scrape the underside of the reed tongue. Insert a paper under the tongue to remove and remaining dirt & debris. Other members may have advice on other methods. The reed will now need to be tuned.

Frank have you noticed that the reed always flattens after rust removal ?

In the past I found that for light rust, a brass suede brush can be effective.Supported as you suggest and only brushed from base to tip.Under no circumstances in the other direction.

Al

In the past I found that for light rust, a brass suede brush can be effective.Supported as you suggest and only brushed from base to tip.

I like using a polishing block for the final cleaning. These have a gentle action, but can remove quite heavy rust and leave a nice clean and smooth finish, and no fibres to get stuck in the reed or in your lungs.

In the past I found that for light rust, a brass suede brush can be effective.Supported as you suggest and only brushed from base to tip.

I like using a polishing block for the final cleaning. These have a gentle action, but can remove quite heavy rust and leave a nice clean and smooth finish, and no fibres to get stuck in the reed or in your lungs.

I'm with Theo, just finished sorting a badly rusted set of melodeon reeds with one of these blocks. Quick and provides good finish.

I'm with Theo, just finished sorting a badly rusted set of melodeon reeds with one of these blocks. Quick and provides good finish.

How do you clean the underside?

With the small screwdriver blade as described by Frank, and also with fine abrasive paper slipped under the reed and supported by a thin flat support tool. When rust is present there is usually more on the upper surface.

Frank have you noticed that the reed always flattens after rust removal ?

In the past I found that for light rust, a brass suede brush can be effective.Supported as you suggest and only brushed from base to tip.Under no circumstances in the other direction.

Al

It's been a while since I have done repair work, having been otherwise occupied with making new concertinas. However, I do remember that removing the rust will put the reeds quite a bit out of tune, as it changes the overall reed mass. Another factor is the resetting of the reed. After derusting any change to the reed's set usually will flatten the reed, especially if lowering the set of the reed. You suggestion re the brass brush seems like a good idea. I also agree that you definitely don't want to do a "scrubbing" back & forth motion, as the bristles could catch on the tip of the reed and damage it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used these for cleaning electronics connectors. How do you do the back of the reed?

[PS]

Drat - just saw that it has been answered above. I think de-rusting will wait until I work up the courage to try retuning.

Actually you can cut these blocks with a scalpel or sharp knife to get a smaller surface, but they crumble if you go too small.

Edited by malcolmbee

How do you do the back of the reed?

You can also use a small piece of fine wet & dry abrasive paper slipped under the reed tongue, and supported with the same steel shim that you use when cleaning the upper surface. Press firmly on the reed tong with a finger while withdrawing the abrasive paper. Repeat until the paper comes out clean.