Interesting discussion on concertina players on The Session

Yes, a slanging match by people sitting behind their pseudonyms.

Call me naive but I would much prefer if people used their real names. It does appear a little unfair to discuss, in this hidden way, the relative merits of musicians who, during performances and making recordings, wear their hearts on their sleeves and use their real names.

I do not know many of the people on concertina.net, well I assume not, but those I do , because they use their real names, are people I have known for a great deal of time. They are all honest.

But, coming to the point of the disscussion on thesession.... years back ITM was very male dominated but these days the women have come to the fore especially in County Clare and particularly on Concertina. It is a fine fine thing.

Geoff.

Seems to have turned into a bit of a slanging match sadly smile.gif

Perhaps particularly over there, but on a lot of discussion forums I'd guess, the dross percentage gets pretty high once you get above about 35 replies on a discussion.

I think the credibility of any statement in that thread seems to be limited by the fact that they all seem to define the word "concertina" as "anglo concertina playing ITM." Pretty limited point of view, if you ask me.

thesession.org has always been defined by its creator/owner as a site about traditional Irish music, and within that tradition to dance tunes (see the Welcome tab on the main page, as well as the FAQ), so what would you expect? Discussions about, say, English or duet concertinas have been known to happen, but there's not much to say about their use within ITM.

As an EC player of mainly ETM, I have very little interest in ITM, though I do admire some of the players and their playing skills, especially anglo players. I read right through this discussion on concertina music at The Session and it completely washed over me. Also, I find it hard to accept the views of people who hide behind pseudonyms. I use my real name on this site and anywhere else I post too.

Chris

As an EC player of mainly ETM, I have very little interest in ITM, though I do admire some of the players and their playing skills, especially anglo players. I read right through this discussion on concertina music at The Session and it completely washed over me.

I started to read it, but quickly became bored, and certainly didn't read it through. Seemed that after the first few posts, it was heading toward becoming a slugfest between competing obsessions.

Also, I find it hard to accept the views of people who hide behind pseudonyms. I use my real name on this site and anywhere else I post too.

I find it hard to accept your implication that the validity of a person's opinion depends on the name he/she chooses to use. But that topic has already been discussed nearly to death in this thread.

As an EC player of mainly ETM, I have very little interest in ITM, though I do admire some of the players and their playing skills, especially anglo players. I read right through this discussion on concertina music at The Session and it completely washed over me.

I started to read it, but quickly became bored, and certainly didn't read it through. Seemed that after the first few posts, it was heading toward becoming a slugfest between competing obsessions.

Couldn't agree more.

Also, I find it hard to accept the views of people who hide behind pseudonyms. I use my real name on this site and anywhere else I post, too.

I find it hard to accept your implication that the validity of a person's opinion depends on the name he/she chooses to use. But that topic has already been discussed nearly to death in this thread.

I read it ages ago, too and it has been done to death. All opinions are a matter of opinion and this is mine. I simply place more trust in the opinions of someone who posts under their real name.

Chris

Also, I find it hard to accept the views of people who hide behind pseudonyms. I use my real name on this site and anywhere else I post, too.

I read it ages ago, too and it has been done to death. All opinions are a matter of opinion and this is mine. I simply place more trust in the opinions of someone who posts under their real name.

My birth certificate says I'm James, not Jim.

Do you trust me less for that?

What about Robert Allen Zimmerman, aka Bob Dylan?

Which do you consider to be his "real" name? B)

Call me naive but I would much prefer if people used their real names.

How would you know that people are using their real names?

ocd

(real name John Smith, really)

Call me naive but I would much prefer if people used their real names.

How would you know that people are using their real names?

ocd

(real name John Smith, really)

Well... yes.... that is true. Ok so I am naive.

I have played with a lot of the people mentioned in that 'thesession' thread and, at least ,I know who they are.

Geoff.

When I first started posting on one or two different fora, newsgroups etc it seemed to be the general practice to adopt a nom de plume (in fact I think the BBC Board and others actually suggested it). There was also the suggestion at one point IIRC that for women posters it might be slightly safer. I don't find that the lack of use of a real name is any reason to mistrust the poster (in fact there are some people who use their real names that I would not care to trust any further than you could throw them). On the whole, amongst regular posters, the identity of the person behind the nickname is often well known - for instance I'm very well aware of the real identities of Lady de Temps, Dirge and Tall Ship on here. I actually have different names on three different boards, and post under my real name on the fRoots Forum ... hopefully my views or comments are just as valid (or indeed invalid) whichever name I'm using.

(And for the record the S stands for my surname, which is perfectly visible in my signature ) B)

Having looked back to the start of the thread, I proffer apologies, since I realise that this is really somewhat off topic!!!

Edited by Irene S