Packie Russell

I've been sudying his tunes and playing and the analysis in Volume 2 of Dan Worrall's book.

Does anyone know what type of concertina he played etc. This old film shows a C/G with more accidentals, 4 rows I think

the way he held his hands looks awkward to me , though I saw Ernestine Healey playing like that.

Edited by michael sam wild

Thanks Bill I'll give him a ring. I didn't find anything by searching conc net but Google led me to this older post. Must try harder, nothing new under the sun!cool.gif

http://www.concertin...?showtopic=6834

Any further info since then? Where did it get to?

Listening to the clip closely and the tunes. Wow, great stuff being played on both. The delicate ornament of alternate gs, on the first button g row and third of c row, when reversed to f# and f nat. cool. He certainly played at a quick speed.

I found this on an archive from Whyte's auctioneers. It was by John Valleley of Armagh of the musical family - sold in 2008. I also found a bit on The Session site from 2005 abot a visit by some enthusiasts in 1969 to Stella Maris old folks home in Lisdoonvarna where they recorded Patrick 'Patty' Flanagan who was 90 and had taught Packie . ( Packie lived 1920-1977)

more info here

http://www.michorussellweekend.ie/therussells3.html

031.jpg

Packie Russell played a 44 key C. Jeffries. It was held for some years in a glass case on the wall in O'Connors pub in Doolin where Packie played regularly. It was in the old section where the sessions used to be held before the pub was extended. I was told O'Connors actually bought the convertina for Packie but do not know where it is now. When I saw it it needed a bit of tuning and some renovation eg pads, valves etc.

• 9 years later...

I don't think Packie ever owned a concertina, but always borrowed them. Some 40 years ago I rebuilt a 32-key Jeffries for people in North Clare that was in a dreadful state, but it had been Packie's favourite at one time.

In later years O'Connor's bought the 4-row Jeffries for him to play, but only the premises, he couldn't take it elsewhere with him.

After his death it was displayed in the glass wall cabinet behind where the musicians used to play, along with photos and some miniature instruments that included a small melodeon and German concertina they got from me, and a miniature set of uilleann pipes that Eugene Lamb made them. Everything else is still there, but "Packie's" concertina was removed when the O'Connors sold the pub.

I had the pleasure and privelege of sharing a few tunes with Packie on my first visit to Ireland back in 1976. We made our way to Doolin and found the pub, which was very crowded when we arrived. Packie was sitting there, together with his brother Miko. Packie saw my concertina and beckoned me over to sit with him. The reason the pub was so crowded was that there were a lot of students from Dublin camping nearby, and I think every one of them had a bodhran. So every time we started into a tune, 20 or so bodhrans joined in and it was very heard to hear what was being played. It seemed like the annual wildebeest migration was going through Doolin that evening. After 3 or 4 times of this, Packie lent over to me and said quietly "if there's a single bodhran in heaven, then I'm glad I'm going to hell."

A lovely man and a terrific musician. And apologies to all you bodhran players out there!

• Haha 2