Wheatsone Riveted reeds ?

Yes - I have a 56 key extended treble EC with riveted reeds - ca.1890

(in fact they are superb set of reeds)

They certainly sound differently and appeared for instance in the first "Aeolas" which actually were sixsided with "Aeola" engraved in the endplates.These also have the typical "dot and comma" fretwork and have a mellow delicate tone caused by the combined features but instruments with common open fretwork and riveted reeds sound mellower than others as well. What type is yours Steve?

A Baritone English Wheatstone came up for auction at a small auction this morning and I decided to bid for it. I had a close look at the instrument before the bidding started and I was not sure about it. The box it was in was genuine, The bellows looked as if they might be new, but had a huge great hole in it where the leather had separated from one end. (fairly easy to repair) it was stamped Wheatstone London. The reeds were riveted, but were not the type of reeds I was expecting ,these I could inspect through the hole,(Base end) they were Harmonium style reeds broad and flat. The valves were new and white also not what I was expecting.The ends plates looked like aluminium, with a small amount of fretwork at the top.Other problems needed sorting, buttons and springs etc

It finally went for £350 when I decided against it. A bargain if it was genuine. Good luck to the purchaser

Better safe than sorry.

Al

They certainly sound differently and appeared for instance in the first "Aeolas" which actually were sixsided with "Aeola" engraved in the endplates.These also have the typical "dot and comma" fretwork and have a mellow delicate tone caused by the combined features but instruments with common open fretwork and riveted reeds sound mellower than others as well. What type is yours Steve?

Mine is probably a model 5 - open rosewood fretwork (sadly cracked along the grain in few places), wrist straps - probably an old marching instrument (I acquired it in Edinburgh 20 years ago) - and plays amazingly well with rapid articulation, great dynamics and bright but not strident tone - excellent for song accompaniment - and I've played it for dancing. The bellows need some fettling since the card is splitting in a couple of places.

Mine is probably a model 5 - open rosewood fretwork (sadly cracked along the grain in few places), wrist straps - probably an old marching instrument (I acquired it in Edinburgh 20 years ago) - and plays amazingly well with rapid articulation, great dynamics and bright but not strident tone - excellent for song accompaniment - and I've played it for dancing. The bellows need some fettling since the card is splitting in a couple of places.

It is difficult to identify these models if you don't have a contemporary price list and I haven't seen one.Anyone has? There is one from 1915 but that does not help much.Is that your source for suggesting it is model 5? or 4 maybe? The production ledgers are unfortunately missing between 1890 and 1910 too.Do you have a safe serial number?

I'm likening it to a comparable model in the 1915 price list.

No serial number either I'm afraid - not even a batch number - but it is a Wheatstone as identified by Colin Dipper when he repaired years ago.

Has Wheatstone concertina reeds ever been riveted and if so when did they start doing it?

I will expand on this posting after this initial enquiry

Many thanks

Al

Alan,

I know Wheatstone EC, #19938, "48 Rosewood Steel Polished" from July/Sept 1881 has riveted steel reeds. For years I've played a wonderful unpolished rosewood 56 EC with riveted steel reeds. Unfortunately the only number is inside - "71" - probably a batch number or maybe the last two digits of the serial number? If it is the last two digits of a serial number, the only ones that might match in the ledgers are c.1888-1891.

Gary

Sounds like I have dropped a big clanger and someone has picked up a very nice bargain.

I had never seen an old instrument with riveted reeds and I have not large sums of money to throw at a fake.

Put it down to lack of experience.

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like I have dropped a big clanger and someone has picked up a very nice bargain.

I had never seen an old instrument with riveted reeds and I have not large sums of money to throw at a fake.

Put it down to lack of experience.

Al

Wheatstone with riveted reeds on ebay today

Edited by Theo