I'm Way Off

From another list where we're discussing busking in direct sunlight (my words):

But this brings up another question: just how hot is too hot for a concertina? Unless I want to spring for a shelter (and if I had the money to do that, I wouldn't *need* to busk, lol) I am in direct sunlight all day. And so is the concertina.

Uh, well, um, it's like this y'all. And you heard it here first...

I'm thinking that busking in direct sunlight just went from being a not-great idea to a really BAD idea...as of this morning. Well, not as of this morning, but I just figured out this was a bad idea this morning.

Not a good time for me to overheat for long periods of time...

Uh, because the little, er, plastic stick this morning said that we will be welcoming a potential concertina player into the world some time in January 2005...AFTER already attending its first concertina camp (well, sort of attending) in August 2004.

No, this was not an expected change in circumstances, LOL.

Yes, it is a very wanted change in circumstances. :rolleyes:

Hey, Congratulations!*****!

Not a good time for me to overheat for long periods of time...

Then busk for short periods of time. As long as you don't overheat, it should have two beneficial effects on the impending... gettting her/him used to hearing music, and getting him/her used to the local weather.

Digression for an anecdote: I thank a pregnancy for the first concertina I owned. Its previous owner was a school teacher who used a guitar to accompany songs in her classes, but when she became pregnant, the pregnancy was so large that she couldn't hold the guitar. So she got a concertina (small Wheatstone... less expensive then) and would rest in on the "shelf" while playing. Once the baby came, the concertina went into the closet. Her father was urging her to sell it just at the time that I came around asking if anybody knew of a concertina for sale.

... Somehow, I don't think that's the way your story will wind up, though. (End of anecdote.)

...AFTER already attending its first concertina camp (well, sort of attending) in August 2004.

Definitely attending. Just not studying, yet. (Or maybe not. Can't be sure what might be going on inside inside that little head. ;))

So, are you going to get one of those 18-button Stagi Englishes, or save and scan eBay for an old Wheatstone or Lachenal miniature? :) (They made 'em in English, anglo, and duet. I believe I even saw one by Jeffries, once.)

HOORAY!!

Blessings on mom and babe and all. Keep playing music for the little sprout- as I'm sure you know.

I played the "Pachelbel Canon in D" incessantly when I was pregnant with my firstborn, now 18 (ok, I was young and foolish). I played it occasionally when he was a baby, then got sick of the piece and stopped. When he was 2 1/2 it turned up on the local classical music station (WGBH Boston, at the time). Dylan looked up, said, "Oh! it's my tune!" and went contendedly back to playing whatever he was up to.

I haven't tried it in years. He's graduating from hs next month- I'll have to spring it on him at the graduation party!

Congradulations on this wonderful blessing!

Keep playing and hold your concertina close to your tummy.

My wife sang the role of Gilda in "Rigoletto" here in Boston while 6 months along with our daughter Camille.

We were on our way to Quebec to visit the in-laws and I was wanting to share with my wife a CD of Maria Callas in the role of Gilda. I go over to the track with the big aria, Callas starts singing and my 8 month old daughter starts kicking like a wild person from her car seat. Wow!

Get your little one indoctrinated early!

Thank you all, and thanks for the suggestions! I love the story, Jim!

I've got a 24-button Edgley on order, and that should be quite good for perching on the "shelf" (like I already have one, sort of, being of the very Rubinesque type). But I may start looking at the "toy" concertinas a little more closely. And if I can find a bear like Henk's avatar, I will definitely buy it!

Since I listen to music almost constantly, the kid will have quite the earful. And knowing my favorite tune du jour, will probably come out humming Planxty Irwin.

Hmm, must make note to give the Noel Hill organizing folks a heads-up...better wait until the barfing stage is over though, so I'll know which foods are still anathema.

Oh, yeah, getting the little one used to Missouri summers with 90+ degree temps (Farenheit) and 90+ % humidity for days, if not weeks at a time. Hey, I've lived in this climate zone most of my life and I'm still not used to it!

Today is all about being background noise for an SCA War College, whatever that is. My musical partner (recorder and flute) has strict orders from the dad-to-be to bring me home if it gets too awfully hot. I am going armed with a huge shade pavilion, two bottles of frozen water, and a bottle of frozen Gatorade.

:D YAAAY!!!!

My 'baby' is now 19 years old. Seems like only yesterday she was pounding on the bottom of an oatmeal can while sitting in her carseat, and now she's soon to get a new set of REAL boom-booms (that cost a whole lot more than oatmeal cans...)!

I did concentrate on 'softer' music, not rock, but....what do I know, right? Anyway, she's an excellent percussionist, and also plays other instruments if she wants to.

She doesn't really care for the concertina very much, but, maybe that insures that it's MINE.

Hope you have a boy, you won't have clothes and deodorant and stuff like that go missing...heheheh....just kidding, either gender will be lots of fun! :)

WooHoo! Great news!! I have 3 kids ages 22, 5 and 3. It's fun, exhausting,exciting, anxiety-ridden, and amazing! Kids love you like no one else ever will :wub: and vice versa.

Have you started throwing up yet??

I would advise you to be careful about being in the hot sun for hours. Maybe get yourself a big straw hat or a beach umbrella. Drink lots of water too!

I've barely managed not to throw up, on the theory that actually throwing up won't really make me feel any better.

Yesterday was very low-key, playing at the SCA event. We were given a lovely spot under a thick shade tree (near the bathrooms!) and the breeze was nice and cool. It was no-stress and didn't feel like "work" at all. I got tired about 45 minutes before we were going to leave anyway, so it all worked out nice :)

We had lots of compliments about our playing, and may have ended up on the local evening news! My playing partner was doing a bagpipe piece on her tenor recorder, "Lament for the Harp Tree" and I was providing a soft D note drone so it sounded more "bagpipe-y" and they filmed that. It's really a lovely piece of music, and she puts a LOT of emotion into it.

But everyone was very nice and most appreciative. I was still spacing out (this still doesn't feel quite real), and that was okay, too.

How honored we are that you would choose Concertina.net to make this momentous announcement. I am not fortunate enough to have children, and consider them a blessing, even after several years of daily experience with what inept upbringing (or no upbringing) can produce. But I have never seen a musical household produce a negative result in terms of a teenager's behavior, so you are in good shape!

Congratulations

Ken

Well, I don't know. I look away for a couple of days and see what happens. You can't afford to take your eyes off this forum for a moment!

Congratulations, and if you take my advice, you'll put its name down for a Dipper just as soon as it has a name...

Chris

Congratulations, and if you take my advice, you'll put its name down for a Dipper just as soon as it has a name...

Hmm. I wonder if Colin would make an exception and take a double order... a miniature for delivery in about 3 years, and a matching full-size for later delivery?