Tune Of The Month, May 2013: Parson's Farewell

Jim Besser

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been away from Internet connections and mobiles for the last few weeks so I'm playing catch up now. Nice choice again this month.

Anyway here's my first effort ( v1 is on soundcloud as well)

https://soundcloud.com/anobium/cnet-totm-0513-parsons-1?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=email

Thanks, I was beginning to worry because of the lack of postings!

Nice one. What instrument are you playing?

I've been away from Internet connections and mobiles for the last few weeks so I'm playing catch up now. Nice choice again this month.

Anyway here's my first effort ( v1 is on soundcloud as well)https://soundcloud.com/anobium/cnet-totm-0513-parsons-1?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=email

Nice one. What instrument are you playing?

Many Thanks. I've played that on my marcus G/D. I know I keep saying this but totm is great .Every tune I've attempted, I've learned something new about playing the concertina.

I hope totm continues and a few more start posting!

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you Jim, you have the balance just right but some tunes attract more responses than others. The reason for that isn't always obvious, Parson's Farewell is a bonnie tune that isn't too difficult to play as written and I'm sure that very few people would be intimidated by it. . .

Edited by tallship

Well done Cannon ! It is good that you have broken the silence too, even just to stop Jim from worrying.

There are plenty of people who are obviously enjoying the TOTM, even if they are not making a recorded contribution. At any level of playing abilities there are things to learn from trying a new tune.

May is a busy time for many people in the Northern Hemisphere, my yesterday's practice time was taken up by a break in the weather which allowed (necessitated) me to Mow the Lawns :( ... but I am still working on a Duet version.... :)

Well done Cannon ! It is good that you have broken the silence too, even just to stop Jim from worrying.

There are plenty of people who are obviously enjoying the TOTM, even if they are not making a recorded contribution. At any level of playing abilities there are things to learn from trying a new tune.

May is a busy time for many people in the Northern Hemisphere, my yesterday's practice time was taken up by a break in the weather which allowed (necessitated) me to Mow the Lawns :( ... but I am still working on a Duet version.... :)

Thanks For that Geoff.

I've found TOTM seems to be improving my concertina playing, but I'm also learning new skills, such as recording and how to not panic when confronted by the " red button of doom".

Anyway here's my first effort ( v1 is on soundcloud as well)

https://soundcloud.com/anobium/cnet-totm-0513-parsons-1?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=email

A touch slow, maybe, but otherwise very nice!

Chris

I've been away from Internet connections and mobiles for the last few weeks so I'm playing catch up now. Nice choice again this month.Anyway here's my first effort ( v1 is on soundcloud as well)https://soundcloud.com/anobium/cnet-totm-0513-parsons-1?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=email

A touch slow, maybe, but otherwise very nice!Chris

Thanks Chris.

Yes it's a little on the slow side- it was actually the eighth attempt at recording, by which time the digits were giving up! It'll take me a little while longer to speed up with any semblance of consistency.

Hi All,

I've been lurking around here for awhile now, but never posted. I love the Tune-of-the-Month idea, though, so much that it dragged me out of the shadows and into the 21st century! I even had to figure out how to post to YouTube! It's a great excuse to try to learn songs (I worked on the last couple of months', but didn't have the nerve to post) and I really want to support it and not let it die. So, here's my contribution:

Thanks for a great site and great ideas!
Jason

I've been lurking around here for awhile now, but never posted. I love the Tune-of-the-Month idea, though, so much that it dragged me out of the shadows and into the 21st century! I even had to figure out how to post to YouTube! It's a great excuse to try to learn songs (I worked on the last couple of months', but didn't have the nerve to post) and I really want to support it and not let it die. So, here's my contribution:

Welcome over here - that's definitely a nice one, particularly the melodic and rhythmic variations of the second run through...

Hi All,

Thanks for a great site and great ideas!

Jason

Very nice chording and harmonies. Glad you came out of the shadows.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

My concertina is, indeed, an Elise. I have serious coveting issues over the Peacock and the Beaumont, but it does what I need for now!

One of the things I really like about these Tunes of the Month is the wide variation in sounds and ideas that everyone has for a given tune. It's an extremely enlightening concept and I certainly benefit from the opportunity to hear them all. I hope participation in TOTM continues to build.

I've been busy this month and have just had time to catch up with everyone's postings. Lots of variety!

I had a little time this morning, so recorded this:

http://ubuntuone.com/0c7XDS4rlvjnP7lL9HPycp

It's three tracks - one just the dots, one the chords (digitally bumped down and octave), and one on a sopranino recorder (which was just crying out to be included in the fun).

My initial attempts at this tune were highly influenced by bellowhead and were quite jaunty. This time I was trying for 'stately'.