Airport Security

Ok, how many other people have had airport security thinking that your concertina is a bomb or something? I recently was flying across country and couldn't leave my concertina home alone for a week, so I stuffed it in my backpack. The guy at the x-ray machine kept staring, I should say squinting, at my backpack making it go back and forth in the machine. He even called a buddy of his over to look at it too. Then, finally called a bag check. :lol:

No problem at all again on the most recent trip I just returned from. Still my favorite experience when all the security people came over to try to figure out what sort of musical instrument it was from the picture on their machine. I think they had bets going, as they asked me specifically what musical instrument I was carrying.

Alan

Ok, how many other people have had airport security thinking that your concertina is a bomb or something?

Almost always B) . Security guys checked my baggage two or three times through the machine and asked what is that.

My last trip with concertina was 4 years ago though.

--

Taka

Ok, how many other people have had airport security thinking that your concertina is a bomb or something?

Who hasn't? :unsure:

It's a subject that comes up quite often here, and in the last thread about it (concertina up in the air, only a few weeks ago) I described having the concertina in my avatar swabbed, for explosives, at Stansted Airport. :angry:

I got a laugh out of the comment from the other thread about how the levers looked like wires and the reeds shrapnel. Sorry about this repeated subject. ;)

I wouldn't apologize. It's an industry that changes weekly and since most of our members travel, it might not be a bad idea to keep up with the changes and local restrictions to protect our instruments.

Thanks

Leo

...since most of our members travel, it might not be a bad idea to keep up with the changes and local restrictions to protect our instruments.

Ah, the wonderful ambiguities of the English language!

I know it's not what you meant, Leo, but it's with a mixture of amusement and fright that I read that these "local restrictions" are there "to protect our instruments." :D :ph34r:

...since most of our members travel, it might not be a bad idea to keep up with the changes and local restrictions to protect our instruments.

Ah, the wonderful ambiguities of the English language!

I know it's not what you meant, Leo, but it's with a mixture of amusement and fright that I read that these "local restrictions" are there "to protect our instruments." :D :ph34r:

Hi Jim

I'm not sure that was an intentional slip of the fingers or an accident of puntchiashun. I'll let yuns guys decide. :lol:

Thanks

Leo :blink: :rolleyes:

Edited by Leo

This is why I bought a Clear Pass, and this last week lost my subscription price when they went belly up.

Anyway, I've flown with mine several times, and each time got questioned thoroughly, but fortunately I was always able to talk to the screener from beginning to end since the Clear Pass lines are only a couple people. Before it even hit the xray I started saying "its a musical instrument like an accordion, I will be happy to show it to you, please don't be rough on it", and they never were.

NNY

I had to play for the securityfolks at Paris Orly a month ago. The concertina looks great x-rayed though, all the levers and stuff:-D

I tend to look at this topic from the other side, because I occasionally do technical translations for a company that makes airport X-ray scanning equipment.

The manufacture's training courses for operators involve showing them recorded X-ray images of bags on the screen. The images sometimes contain various "threats" and sometimes harmless objects that might look suspicious to the untrained eye. The system only works efficiently if operators can distinguish most threats and non-threats at a glance. Concertinas are obviously unfamiliar, and therefore a "potential threat", so they have to be investigated.

I should get in touch with the company and offer them my concertinas as models for training images - could save other concertinists some time at check-in, if operators were familiar with the X-ray image of a concertina! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

John

recently, i flew with two concertinas. when leaving chicago, they didnt say anthing. when returning (after having lent out one of the two), they pulled me aside for a bag check. first they went through my flute case, then they went through my concertina case. then they asked me to tell them where the hidden tools were.

turns out they werent bothered by the concertina, so much as the fact that mr. gregg jowaisas had so cleverly hidden a tiny wrench within the padding so that not even security officials could find it. any craftsman should be proud to know that their handiwork stumps people trained to find hidden bombs and knives.

any craftsman should be proud to know that their handiwork stumps people trained to find hidden bombs and knives.

... and that this handiwork can mean a prolonged stay at an airport for his customers! :lol:

One can be too clever sometimes ...

Cheers,

John

:blink: Forget airport security try sneaking a concertina past my mum when packing the car for a holiday. :huh:

Maybe it needs to be hidden in a melodeon case ;) . Failing that, re-classified as an essential medical item.

:blink: Forget airport security try sneaking a concertina past my mum when packing the car for a holiday. :huh:

Maybe it needs to be hidden in a melodeon case ;)

That's going to be disguised as a suitcase ;)

Edited by LDT