Religious Music

Alan Day

Although religion is not discussed on this site I am interested in religious music (In amongst Music in general).I make a point when talking about peoples religion to bring up the subject of their hymns or the music used in their ceremonies.

A couple of weeks ago I had a visit from the Jehovah Witnesses,I was up on the roof at the time so did not spend too much time with them,but discussed the subject of their music.All the music they sing is based on their scriptures and have 225 Hymns in their song book and all with tunes not taken from the standard hymn tunes. A few days ago they turned up a gave me four CDs and the book of music and words that relate to the CDs. All they asked for was a donation towards the cost.Very generous. I have had a listen to the first CD and the music sounds rather like soundtracks from Fifties/ sixties Film Scores with full orchestra, so it is rather difficult to pick out the basic tune. A couple of the tunes are really nice however and one I will try and learn and play it for you on here (No 3 if you are a member).

Al

Alan,

I gained a love of sacred music via the force-feeding of music school. Of course there wasn't much other music in earlier times. That said, I've got at least two hymnals and have used them to practice on as I begin the concertina part of my musical journey. I'm sure that you used book dealer would have one. No musical jokes about how much you could get it for .. :rolleyes:

I am thinking that I may need to get a Duet, instead of my English, for the multple parts, though.

Cheers,

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

Well, for various reasons, I play/sing some hymns and gospel songs, usually along with my husband and we refer to ourselves as 'The Hallelujah Bums.' (I know the name doesn't go over very well with some religious people, which is one reason I chose it -- I feel that it's an appropriate description.)

I need to find my list of links -- there are 3 or 4 great sites for getting vast info on hymns. I'll come baack with those.... am slow on this mobile.

Alan, I have to laugh a little because I remember one of my experiences with a very persistent and unusual visiting JW member... he kept talking and I tried to point out that I needed to go, but he wouldn't quit. I finally made it very clear that I had to go, but he just talked on. So, I just closed the door. I figured that would do it. Well, he stood there and talked to the door for another five or ten minutes! He did come back again at least once, and that time was worse.... I finally had to tell him I would call the cops if he didn't leave. He did leave, and his friends with him. Though, I found out later that he was friends with one of my relatives, too, who was, at that time, a JW member as well.

Anyway, I wish the guy well... I just got a laugh out of remembering his conversation with the door.

At my family or other gatherings, which are scarce these days, we have several religions represented. It's interesting. Protestant and Catholic, and who knows what else.

Back with links.... soon.

I'm up this late because I have had a sore neck & shoulder.

Okay, re my previous post --

The best sites for all kinds of hymn resources that I have found are:

Timeless Truths Free Online Library

library dot timeless truths dot org

The CyberHymnal

http://www.hymntime.com/tch/misc/download.htm

**edited to correct the URL which is a new one

-- and another good source, though without sheet music as far as I know, is

Quakersong dot org

**edited

Edited by bellowbelle

A couple of the tunes are really nice however and one I will try and learn and play it for you on here (No 3 if you are a member).

I'll be intrested to hear how it turns out.

Although religion is not discussed on this site I am interested in religious music (In amongst Music in general).I make a point when talking about peoples religion to bring up the subject of their hymns or the music used in their ceremonies.

A couple of weeks ago I had a visit from the Jehovah Witnesses,I was up on the roof at the time so did not spend too much time with them,but discussed the subject of their music.All the music they sing is based on their scriptures and have 225 Hymns in their song book and all with tunes not taken from the standard hymn tunes. A few days ago they turned up a gave me four CDs and the book of music and words that relate to the CDs. All they asked for was a donation towards the cost.Very generous. I have had a listen to the first CD and the music sounds rather like soundtracks from Fifties/ sixties Film Scores with full orchestra, so it is rather difficult to pick out the basic tune. A couple of the tunes are really nice however and one I will try and learn and play it for you on here (No 3 if you are a member).

Al

Alan, I utilize a number of sites for obtaining hymns. This one is excellent. http://www.hymnsite.com/

The music can be played back in piano, organ, midi, or even bells and the sheet music downloaded in PDF format. All downloads are free, and all music is in the public domain. Mike

Al,

I'm with you there! After all, it was the Salvation Army that got me hooked on the concertina, way back in my childhood. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

John