24 button Herrington

I hope this thread isn't inappropriate. I'm not trying to advertise, I just gotta know. :ph34r:

I've seen where Herrington has a 24 button box with this description:

The Chromatic 24 Key:

This is a 5 7/8" hexagonal instrument with 24 buttons arranged in two rows of six on each side. The ends are nickel silver and it has an 8 fold bellows. The accidentals are at the top of each row and therefore fall under the index finger. This instrument is offered in both C/G and G/D tuning.

The keyboard of the C/G is of special interest to players of Irish music. Since it is set up to favor play in the keys of D and G, the keyboard was developed as a collaborative effort between myself, Jacqueline McCarthy of Oranmore, County Clare, Ireland, and Frank Edgley of Windsor, Ontario Canada. It is an altogether excellent instrument.

We also offer the 24 in a G/D tuning. In this concertina the four accidental buttons supply the notes to make this instrument fully chromatic.

The price is $1250.

Does anyone here own one or has anyone played one? It sounds like a great setup designed by people who know what they're doing.

Would it be more versatile in C/G or G/D?

Any comments?

EDIT: I just noticed in another thread, Bob Tedrow also has a 24 button box. Is it arranged the same? Are there others?

Edited by drbones

I believe that Lachenal may have made some of these too -- I know that they made 22-button ones. I don't know whether the note layout is consistent from one maker to another.

Daniel

Frank Edgeley makes them as well. Indeed I have an email from Harold saying that he likes to refer to this layout as an "Edgeley Special", with Ned Buntline in mind.

Chris

I believe that Lachenal may have made some of these too -- I know that they made 22-button ones. I don't know whether the note layout is consistent from one maker to another.

Daniel

Frank Edgeley makes them as well. Indeed I have an email from Harold saying that he likes to refer to this layout as an "Edgeley Special", with Ned Buntline in mind.

Chris

Here is a photo of Lachenal 22-button and Edgley 24-button.

Two acccidentals in 22-button are same as the top buttons in outside row of their 30-button instrument, so they are different from Edgley/Herrington layout.

I haven't played 24-button vintages and I too don't know whether the note layout is consistent from one maker to another. But I can imagine their 4 accidentals are same as top 2 buttons each side in the third row.

3506686939_e21dec1e78.jpg

22 and 24 by kuroyagi11, on Flickr

Cheers,

Two acccidentals in 22-button are same as the top buttons in outside row of their 30-button instrument, so they are different from Edgley/Herrington layout.

I haven't played 24-button vintages and I too don't know whether the note layout is consistent from one maker to another. But I can imagine their 4 accidentals are same as top 2 buttons each side in the third row.

I think you're right. The old 24, 24 and 26 button concertinas are more of a cut down 30 button, whereas the Edgley/Herrington layout is a bit of a rethink.

I didn't know they did G/Ds. I shall have to have a litle investigate. I can imagine an Edgley Special G/D would make a rather nice Morris box, the way I currently use my Morse G/D.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...