Is there a cure for it?

A newspaper article about the play "Cosi" by Louis Nowra (as done by a theatre group I belong to) talks about the play being set in a mental hospital, and describes some of the characters as:

... inmates include aspiring megalomanic Roy, the amorous Cherry, obsessive-compulsive Ruth, recovering drug-addict Lucy, pyromaniac Doug, accordion-playing Zac ...

So - does anyone know if accordian-playing can be cured? And what does this mean for we concertina addicts? :unsure:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A newspaper article about the play "Cosi" by Louis Nowra (as done by a theatre group I belong to) talks about the play being set in a mental hospital, and describes some of the characters as:

... inmates include aspiring megalomanic Roy, the amorous Cherry, obsessive-compulsive Ruth, recovering drug-addict Lucy, pyromaniac Doug, accordion-playing Zac ...

So - does anyone know if accordian-playing can be cured? And what does this mean for we concertina addicts? :unsure:

I think that with today's view on health care and the general economic regression,

accordionitis is still considered cureable, mainly because of the large number of players

(and the following risk of damage to public health). In case of concertina players, I think

they "fall between the chairs" - their number is too small (like the instrument) and no politician

with the right mind dare to burn funds on attempts on a cure. So they are allowed to roam freely...

/Henrik :rolleyes:

I played the accordion for years. Within 6 months of buying my first duet I sold the accordion and have been completely accordion free since then. So there is hope.

I'm in the same boat as Dirge, and I haven't had withdrawal symptoms either. One doesn't like to be unkind about melodeons but...

Ian

...does anyone know if accordian-playing can be cured?

I should ask my accordionist friends if they've ever tried accordion-playing in a smokehouse, and if so, what was the result.

Hmm. Maybe smoky bars/pubs would have an equivalent effect?
:unsure:

One doesn't like to be unkind about melodeons but...

I'm erm....tempted to take up the melodeon...is this an early sign of accordion-playing? :unsure:

Two rows is harmless.

It's the 3rd row which makes a melodeon into an accordion, and that's where the trouble starts.

I'm erm....tempted to take up the melodeon...is this an early sign of accordion-playing? :unsure:

Two rows is harmless.

It's the 3rd row which makes a melodeon into an accordion, and that's where the trouble starts.

Piano accordion:

one row: white keys

second row: black keys

third row: there is no third row

So... piano accordion=harmless? :unsure: :ph34r:

It's a slippery slope LDT...

Ian

Its like an itch you just have to scratch.....I just have to find out if I can get along better playing a melodeon. :o :blink:

Ian

Its like an itch you just have to scratch.....I just have to find out if I can get along better playing a melodeon. :o :blink:

Don’t do it LDT! :o

Let me tell you a story of a lad I knew who started rhyming everything he said. He neglected his concertina practice and very nearly lost all desire to push those little buttons. Well thanks to some caring fellow Concertina.net subscribers suggesting an intervention, I…er… HE realized he had a big problem. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem…….HEY! Wait just a dangend New York minute here…It was YOU who got me started down that road. :angry: …You’re like a pusher of useless preoccupation practices… Well, never mind LDT! You go right ahead and pick up that melodeon. I’m sure it will lead to a full fledged accordion addiction. But when you’re down in that gutter with that 40 pound accordion on your back, don’t say we didn’t tell you so!! <_<

Disclaimer: This response is NOT intended as a insult to melodeon or accordian players or practicers. It was displayed for entertainment purposes only..especially my own.

Edited by drbones

Ian

Oh-oh, LDT! :o

I don't like the sound of this ...

However, things are seldom mono-causal. Take respiratory disease. Some people spend one evening in a smoky restaurant, and die of lung cancer. Some smoke all their lives, and get run over by a bus at the age of 85 while training for a Marathon.

It's the genes ... :ph34r:

I hope you have the same gene as I have - the multi-instrumentalist gene. This engenders a craving for any musical instrument that crosses your path, often accompanied by the delusion that you must be able to play it better than the other instruments you've tried hitherto.

This is, of course, a pathological condition, but it has one beneficial side-effect: the effect of one particularly obnoxious instrument (e.g. melodion, banjo) is attenuated by your occuption with other, less virulent instruments (e.g. concertina, kazoo).

The point at which I will really start worrying about you is when you give up the concertina for the melodeon. If you just add the melodion to your inventory, that's OK. Because then you'll probably add something else soon. I would suggest the autoharp, which is an extremely therapeutic instrument. More a medicine than a drug. It subdues the craving, because you can play really neat accompaniments after only a few hours (nay, minutes) of practice! And it also has buttons. ;)

Cheers,

John (a well-wisher :rolleyes: )

There may be a remedy or even a cure, Have a look on Mudcat for Dave Taylors song "The Melodeons are Coming" Perhaps someone can do a blue clicky for it as this old luddite can't

The song itself isn't in the mudcat database, but in the thread you started there Dave posted a link to an mp3 of the song.

Hey, I like the bit at the end with the accordions! Does anyone have the ABC for that tune?

Hey, I like the bit at the end with the accordions! Does anyone have the ABC for that tune?

Did somebody call my name? B)

Actually, thank you, Jeff, for giving me the opportunity to try a tool I just learned about last week (TORUS). It gave me a name for the tune. Here's what I've done:

First, I listened to the tune and jotted it down in abc (I'm good at that sort of thing). The tune's not all there, just the A section and a couple measures of B. And, yes, the melodeon plays it in D. This is what I heard:

X:1
T:Unknown
M:6/8
K:D
P:A
FGA FED|F2F A2A|B2B dcB|A3  F3|
G2G E3 |A2A F3 |c3  B3 |Az2 G3|
FGA FED|F2F A2A|B2B dcB|A3  F3|
G2G E3 |A2A F3 |dz2 E3 |1D6  :|\
				   [2D3-D2||
P:B
D|\
DFA d2c|d3  A3 |B3  A2G|F3-F2E|% etc...

Actually, I had no way of knowng which was the A part and which was the B part, but it turns out (once I found the tune, see below) my intuition was correct. If more of the B were available, it would have been obvious, since the last 8 bars of B are the same as the last 8 bars of A (which are almost the same as the first 8 bars of A). That never happens the other way around. The tune, like so many others, is of the form a a' b a'. [but see edit, below]

Anyway, I went to TORUS and typed in uuddduuuuuuuddddu according to the conventions defined there, and out popped the title: Nellie the Elephant.

So then I went to John Chambers' Tune Finder (which I've known about for years) and typed in "Nellie the Elephant." It turned up in several locations on the web in abc format (all in the key of G). The whole tune is represented, of course, but there are some minor differences between the versions. I leave it to you to find the version you want to go with.

Edited to add:

Looking back at my abc and comparing it to the posted versions, I now realize that what I took, in the first audible notes of melodeon playing at the end of the mp3 of the song, to be the end of A1, was actually the end of B (which has the same notes as A1). Therefore my notation of a repeat of the A section was incorrect. It's just a 32 bar tune.

Edited by David Barnert