Concertinas F/S at UK auction house 14.2.09

Johnjo

Tennants of Leyburn are holding a sale tomorrow, Saturday 14th February that includes a number of concertinas - including some tasty looking Anglos.

See:

http://www.tennants.co.uk/BidCat/Catalogue...+now=Submit+now

Best regards

John

Their estimates are a bit optimistic! :lol:

Our local aution house does this all the time. I'm sure they know exaclty what concertina's are worth, just trying to draw the punters in looking for a bargin.

Our local aution house does this all the time. I'm sure they know exaclty what concertina's are worth, just trying to draw the punters in looking for a bargin.

Personally, I favour cock-up rather than conspiracy. Take the example of the pristine Crabb Anglo sold by Gaze at Diss a few weeks ago. They estimated it at £400. The auctioneer did have the grace to look slightly surprised when it fetched over £4000 - but if both Mike Acott and I had not been there, it would have been sold for £900, because the only phone bidder dropped out at £850. This poses interesting questions about the responsibility of the auction house to the seller. First, they should surely be competent to advise on a sensible reserve, and second, by setting low estimates and reserves, they are surely encouraging bidders to collaborate rather than compete. In fact, had Mike and I not been the fine, honest and upstanding pillars of the community that we are...

All the best,

David

Personally, I favour cock-up rather than conspiracy. Take the example of the pristine Crabb Anglo sold by Gaze at Diss a few weeks ago. They estimated it at £400. The auctioneer did have the grace to look slightly surprised when it fetched over £4000 - but if both Mike Acott and I had not been there, it would have been sold for £900, because the only phone bidder dropped out at £850. This poses interesting questions about the responsibility of the auction house to the seller. First, they should surely be competent to advise on a sensible reserve, and second, by setting low estimates and reserves, they are surely encouraging bidders to collaborate rather than compete. In fact, had Mike and I not been the fine, honest and upstanding pillars of the community that we are...

All the best,

David

So, who paid over 4 grand for it then?

Chris

Chris

Mike paid £4200. With buyer's premium, that would have been close to £5000. Fortunately, he already had a buyer lined up for it - and after all, it was in spectacular condition.

David

Thanks, David. Phew! And blimey! Credit crunch? What credit crunch!

Chris

Chris

Mike paid £4200. With buyer's premium, that would have been close to £5000. Fortunately, he already had a buyer lined up for it - and after all, it was in spectacular condition.

David

A photo would be nice, Mike! ;)

Chris

David

What? Of the concertina, or of 5 grand in used £50 notes! :lol:

Chris

Tennants of Leyburn are holding a sale tomorrow, Saturday 14th February that includes a number of concertinas - including some tasty looking Anglos.

See:

Best regards

John

The results of the auction are on the Tennant's website - the Ball Beavon sold for £1400, and the Jones for £750 Wish I'd gone along now!

Maybe a lot of potential buyers were too busy taking their 'other halves' out for the day?

Mike

Full results:

352 A Wheatstone & Co. Forty Eight Key Treble Concertina No.23482, with mahogany fretwork ends, forty eight coloured bone buttons, four-fold bellows, and thumb strap to one end, cased. (Needs attention)

estimate £100-150, sold for £130

353 A Wheatstone & Co. Forty Eight Key Treble Concertina, with mahogany fretwork ends, forty eight coloured bone buttons, four-fold bellows and thumb straps, cased. (Needs attention)

estimate: £100-150, sold for £130

354 A Lachenal Twenty Key Anglo Concertina in C/G No.67649, with J.Wallis label, mahogany fretwork ends, twenty bone buttons and five-fold bellows, cased.

estimate: £80-120, sold for £140

355 A Jones Thirty Five Key Anglo Concertina in C/G, with pierced chrome ends, thirty five chrome buttons, leather hand straps and six-fold bellows, in nylon zip case. (Some restoration)

estimate: £100-200, sold for £750

356 A Lachenal & Co. Forty Six Key Duet Concertina No.3358, the hexagonal rosewood ends with fret cut decoration and forty six bone buttons, some stamped with a key letter, leather wrist and thumb straps, six fold leather and paper bellows, in a mahogany case.

estimate: £250-300, sold for £240

358 A 19th Century Thirty Two Key Anglo Concertina stamped Ball, Beavon & Co., London, with ebonised body, pierced nickel silver ends, thirty two bone buttons, leather hand straps and six fold leather and paper bellows, in stiff card box.

estimate: £300-400, sold for £1400

See:

Best regards

John

The results of the auction are on the Tennant's website - the Ball Beavon sold for £1400, and the Jones for £750 Wish I'd gone along now!

Maybe a lot of potential buyers were too busy taking their 'other halves' out for the day?

Mike

Chris

David

What? Of the concertina, or of 5 grand in used £50 notes! :lol:

Chris

Aye, just send me the notes & I'll take the photo! :lol:

Cheers

Dick

Full results:

352 A Wheatstone & Co. Forty Eight Key Treble Concertina No.23482, with mahogany fretwork ends, forty eight coloured bone buttons, four-fold bellows, and thumb strap to one end, cased. (Needs attention)

estimate £100-150, sold for £130

353 A Wheatstone & Co. Forty Eight Key Treble Concertina, with mahogany fretwork ends, forty eight coloured bone buttons, four-fold bellows and thumb straps, cased. (Needs attention)

estimate: £100-150, sold for £130

354 A Lachenal Twenty Key Anglo Concertina in C/G No.67649, with J.Wallis label, mahogany fretwork ends, twenty bone buttons and five-fold bellows, cased.

estimate: £80-120, sold for £140

355 A Jones Thirty Five Key Anglo Concertina in C/G, with pierced chrome ends, thirty five chrome buttons, leather hand straps and six-fold bellows, in nylon zip case. (Some restoration)

estimate: £100-200, sold for £750

356 A Lachenal & Co. Forty Six Key Duet Concertina No.3358, the hexagonal rosewood ends with fret cut decoration and forty six bone buttons, some stamped with a key letter, leather wrist and thumb straps, six fold leather and paper bellows, in a mahogany case.

estimate: £250-300, sold for £240

358 A 19th Century Thirty Two Key Anglo Concertina stamped Ball, Beavon & Co., London, with ebonised body, pierced nickel silver ends, thirty two bone buttons, leather hand straps and six fold leather and paper bellows, in stiff card box.

estimate: £300-400, sold for £1400

See:

Best regards

John

Mike

I did go along and see these concertinas on viewing day - Leyburn is not so far away from me. The Ball Beavon will certainly need quite a lot of work to restore it to its former glory. But it's still not a bad result for what I took to be essentially a Crabb anglo.

Chas

Edited by marshall