Info in Ledger on Wheatstone

Ptarmigan

A friend was asking for info on his Wheatstone Concertina.

It is #35652 & I tracked it down to This Ledger

However, I don't know what all the scribbles mean, can anyone here shed any light on them?

e.g.

What does bn 1222 mean in the 1st column?

What does the 9E mean in the 2nd column?

What are the scribbles after 56 TT in the main column?

Does the date 25.5.51 mean when the instrument was completed or when it was sold?

Cheers

Dick

Hi Dick as far as i understand it , but who am i to say really as others will know better im sure.

bn 1222 is the batch number record for parts used on that tina

9E model number

scribbles eb ebony ends i think

date look more like sold date & added later as ink was used , someone owned a pen at that time , manager maybe?

does all this fit ?

Mike

Edited by miikae

Hi Dick as far as i understand it , but who am i to say really as others will know better im sure.

bn 1222 is the batch number record for parts used on that tina

9E model number

scribbles eb ebony ends i think

date look more like sold date & added later as ink was used , someone owned a pen at that time , manager maybe?

does all this fit ?

Mike

Ebony ended ~ yes.

I don't know anything about the model number, sorry. It is certainly a 56 Key TT though.

Thanks mike.

Cheers

Dick

A friend was asking for info on his Wheatstone Concertina.

It is #35652 & I tracked it down to This Ledger

However, I don't know what all the scribbles mean, can anyone here shed any light on them?

e.g.

What does bn 1222 mean in the 1st column?

What does the 9E mean in the 2nd column?

What are the scribbles after 56 TT in the main column?

Does the date 25.5.51 mean when the instrument was completed or when it was sold?

Cheers

Dick

bn: batchnumber

9E: model No. After WW II models are renumbered. See pricelist c1950

scribbles: octo stands for octogonial; Eb. stands for Ebony.

I don't know about the dates. It's a production book, so I'd say it's when production is done. In SD01 and SD02 the dates in the first column keep more or less in line with the moment the instrument gets its serial number.

But in SD03, where the dates are in the last column, instruments, whose production started together, can be apart up to 3 1/2 years. That's a long time to finish a already numbered instrument. Would make sense to consider, that it's the date when it was sold from stock, wouldn't it? :unsure:

Thanks Leonard. Yes it is indeed Octagonal.

Yes Mike, I'd love to be able to go back in time, even just to be able to walk into a music store & see brand new Concertinas, of all different models, with all the glorious fresh leather & wood smells that went with them, would be worth the trip.

Incidentally guys, here's the Concertina in question, in action:

Sean the Piper - Til the Tide Comes In

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan

Thanks Leonard. Yes it is indeed Octagonal.

Yes Mike, I'd love to be able to go back in time, even just to be able to walk into a music store & see brand new Concertinas, of all different models, with all the glorious fresh leather & wood smells that went with them, would be worth the trip.

Incidentally guys, here's the Concertina in question, in action:

Sean the Piper - Til the Tide Comes In

Cheers

Dick

Well, if you can't go back in time, try the Horniman Museum.

WOW! I hadn't realised that The Museum had so many!

Horniman Museum musical instruments collection, wind instruments

Unique to the Horniman Museum is the collection of over 600 concertinas and related European free reed instruments.

600 Concertinas

Ah so NOW I finally have a good reason to visit London! :)

Cheers

Dick

Unique to the Horniman Museum is the collection of over 600 concertinas and related European free reed instruments.

600 Concertinas

Cheers

Dick

You can see a bit of it here http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GP6Nb5g_Cow

600 Concertinas

Cheers

Dick

Impressive, but only about 10% of the collection is on display.

The whole lot would need a new mueum I suppose and would bore anyone but us stalwarts sadly.

The collection is in the new gallery, along with all sorts of different musical instruments from around the world. Within the context of the gallery, the concertina is probably over-represented, but I'm not complaining.

The whole lot would need a new mueum I suppose and would bore anyone but us stalwarts sadly.

The collection is in the new gallery, along with all sorts of different musical instruments from around the world. Within the context of the gallery, the concertina is probably over-represented, but I'm not complaining.

Thanks Pete. I am in Greater London and really must go along and have a gander.

Ian

I don't know about the dates. It's a production book, so I'd say it's when production is done. In SD01 and SD02 the dates in the first column keep more or less in line with the moment the instrument gets its serial number.

But in SD03, where the dates are in the last column, instruments, whose production started together, can be apart up to 3 1/2 years. That's a long time to finish a already numbered instrument. Would make sense to consider, that it's the date when it was sold from stock, wouldn't it? :unsure:

Geoff Crabb has said that if you had to setup a machine, it would be worthwhile making a few extras of the same part, which would be stored until another instrument of the same type was made. So perhaps we shouldn't think of a group of same type instruments as being a complete kit of parts in these ledgers. SD03 covers a long time, and we know that concertina sales weren't strong (WW2 and after,etc) during its period. So its not really surprising that these 'finishing' (?perhaps?) dates are much more widely spaced in SD03, compared to SD01 and SD02 when the instrument was more popular.