Talk Like A Pirate Day

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be the most UN-hip person in the world for not knowing this. To add to my shame, it should have been as plain as the eye patch on my face.

I write and voice radio commercials for a living and just this week I had to voice a commercial as....wait for it...A PIRATE! Now, maybe I'm giving the client more credit than is due...but doesn't this make you go "hmmm"?

YES I had to say "Aarrrr" (or however that's spelled) a couple of times! I even ad-libbed a "matey"....but that's why I get the big bucks!

Cheers!

James

I think I will have to change my icon to something suitably pirate-ish

Arrrggghhh! Dont ye be a coppyin' me avatar there missy! Unless of course ye enjoys bein' keel hauled and then given a good lashin' with a cat-o-nine tails and then havin' salt rubbed into yer wounds, and then bein' hung from the yard arm, and bein' forced to walk the plank so's ye have to swim to and be stranded on a deserted island where the seagulls'll pick yer bones clean..... or maybe I'll just complain to the moderator of this here forum. That'll teach ya!

BlackbeardEngraving2.jpg

Avast me hearties! Well all the family apart from baby Will joined in. He'll be walking the plank in punishment, the wretched bilge rat, but first he needs to learn to walk.

My daughter was reluctant to give me an Arrr! until I threatened to go into her class and start talking to her teacher like a Pirate. She'd already had to put up with me all the way to school so she finally crumbled. It might seem cruel but it's a harsh life being a little Pirate. Harsh but fair. I'm shovin' off for some grog now.

Yes there were many Dutch pirates as well. People tend to think that they all spoke English and that their main port (or nest) was in Hollywood - the greatest pirate being Johnny Depp of course

you mean they don't all look like Johnny Depp? :blink:

Aww, what a disappointment! :o

Yaar mates, I'm pleased that ye're so exuberant in the celebratin' o' this fine day! I've been a swaggerin' bout town and a singin' o' my favorite tunes all the day.....

"Where is me hat, me noggin' noggin' hat? All gone for beer and tobacco! For the brim is all wore out, and the crown's been kicked about, and me hair is looking out for better weather!" Join me in the chorus now!

Or, if you prefer, "I'm a pirate, a dirty rotten pirate, I delight in stirring up a foght, and bopping little kiddies on the head, 'till they're.....dead!" (My grandma's pirate song.)

Be careful, though:-

So a broadside, a broadside into her then we laid

Blow high, blow low, and so sailed we

Till at length the Queen of Russia swept the pirate's mast away

Cruising down along the coast of Barbary

So we tied 'em one by one and we tied 'em two by two

Blow high, blow low, and so sailed we

And we tied 'em three by three and we chucked 'em in the sea

Cruising down along the coast of Barbary

So watch your step, there's some not nice people out there.

Evenin' all. Mind how you go.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

Well, I didn't even know it was 'that day' again.

But, one of the bumper stickers on my car is, "Arrgh, Get Off Me Arse!' -- or something like that.

The other one, the 'nice' one, says, 'Faith, Hope and Love... these three' (from the Bible).

I was worried that my car would seem too mean with just the Jolly Roger and the pirate saying, so I added the loftier bit to ponder as well.

(edit added)

I got the sticker in the first place because too many drivers were running me right down the roads around here, for no good reason. If I'd speed up, they'd speed up. Got sick of it!

Edited by bellowbelle

The Disney folk will do everything you described to LDT, leaving out only the moderators' involvement.

After that, they'll start to get unpleasant.

ah but I have the crew of HMS monstrous on my side

http://www.geocities.com/hmsmonstrous_stories/

Acting lt Nerrissa Morgan of the HMS Monstrous reporting for duty, sir. ;)

(its RPG yahoo group where we take on various roles)

Edited by LDT

I got the sticker in the first place because too many drivers were running me right down the roads around here, for no good reason. If I'd speed up, they'd speed up. Got sick of it!

Have you tried slowing down when someone tailgates you? No need to brake sharply just gently reduce speed.

Have you tried slowing down when someone tailgates you? No need to brake sharply just gently reduce speed.

Or just turn your sidelights on. Hours of innocent amusement.

Chris

That is a dangerous game as well as Chris' suggestion. The lads and lasses of Massachusetts in general and those living in our quasi rural area in specific are on a good day agressive. Back roads, and I mean some that might be on the scale of a small European lane have become demolition derbys.

As fuel prices have moved closer to what our neighbors on the northern border pay, the pinch in the pocket book has increased bad behavior on the roads. Monster-sized trucks and vans blasting down the road, tailgating, passing on double yellow lines, the charming raised single fingered salute, have become all too commonplace. At times I am frightened and pull off to the side of the road to let them pass as is common in the South. That only enrages them.

Wendy and I have met on several occations. She drives a fuel efficient vehicle and is a careful driver. I have down sized to a Honda Fit which is fun and fuel efficient. Since that time, the tailgating, illegal passing, being cut off, cursed out has gone over the top. Genny and Joe six-pack are pissed off as money used for other things is now going into the tank. Be careful Wendy....those lonely little lanes you and I love to drive are a good bit less friendly :ph34r: .

Shiver me timbers....

Edited by Mark Evans

That is a dangerous game as well as Chris' suggestion. The lads and lasses of Massachusetts in general and those living in our quasi rural area in specific are on a good day agressive. Back roads, and I mean some that might be on the scale of a small European lane have become demolition derbys.

As fuel prices have moved closer to what our neighbors on the northern border pay, the pinch in the pocket book has increased bad behavior on the roads. Monster-sized trucks and vans blasting down the road, tailgating, passing on double yellow lines, the charming raised single fingered salute, have become all too commonplace. At times I am frightened and pull off to the side of the road to let them pass as is common in the South. That only enrages them.

Wendy and I have met on several occations. She drives a fuel efficient vehicle and is a careful driver. I have down sized to a Honda Fit which is fun and fuel efficient. Since that time, the tailgating, illegal passing, being cut off, cursed out has gone over the top. Genny and Joe six-pack are pissed off as money used for other things is now going into the tank. Be careful Wendy....those lonely little lanes you and I love to drive are a good bit less friendly :ph34r: .

Shiver me timbers....

John... That's usually the safest and best thing to do, and that's worked well when on a well-travelled road that's very public. Someone absent-mindedly tailgates, but backs off when 'told' so... especially if there are other drivers around to notice.

But, as Mark has said, there seem to be an unusual lot of angry types on the little country roads.

When I couldn't pull over (no space to!), I'd just try to go faster and lose them, but, that doesn't always work. I have noticed that the 'Arrgh!!!! Get Off Me Arse!' sticker does help a bit, though! :P

There's one 'little' but longish country road we must always travel -- a beautiful one, too, with a few farm stores, lots of trees and landscaping, orchards, etc. -- and this is the one that prompted me to get the pirate sticker, quite a while ago now. The road links two much busier roads, so some of the problem is that people turn off roads where they've been going full speed and then they don't want to slow down.

One dark night, I'd been going the 50mph on one of the busy roads, turned onto the 'lane' and within seconds had a huge escaped dairy cow staring me in the face. Hit the brakes just in time... thank goodness, since we love to go to that farm for ice cream! (Anyway, called someone and the cows were safely returned.)

Have also had to brake suddenly for deer. Aarrgh!!!