Strobe Tuner Wanted

david robertson

I know this is a bit of a long shot, but I wonder if anyone out there has a decent strobe tuner - a Peterson, for example - cluttering up their shelves? I've been struggling along with a brace of digital tuners, but neither of them handles the lowest reeds very well, so I'd love to hear from anyone with a strobe to sell - just drop me a PM.

I know this is a bit of a long shot, but I wonder if anyone out there has a decent strobe tuner - a Peterson, for example - cluttering up their shelves? I've been struggling along with a brace of digital tuners, but neither of them handles the lowest reeds very well, so I'd love to hear from anyone with a strobe to sell - just drop me a PM.

I have used a Conn Strobotuner for decades (three of them!) No longer. I use a software program called StroboSoft that Peterson sells.

I love it. I do. It works well.

I do keep my Conn on the bench as testament to our long relationship. Plus the Conn looks better than a laptop.

Get the Strobosoft program.

best wishes.

Bob Tedrow

I'm sure the computer stuff is great, but I've never gotten around to setting up yet another computer in my house in the location where I set up to do tuning. I have an old Peterson I got cheap at a ham radio meet; try those or the antique radio collectors. When we checked it, it was within 1 cent of accordion builder Larry Miller's strobe, which was close enough for this beginner!

Ken

Get the Strobosoft program.

Thanks Bob for that ... I was looking for a software based strobe tuner and this looks just like the thing! I would love to here from people who have used this program as I'm sure David would and to know your thoughts on this innovation.

Cheer! ;)

Andie

Edited by Andie

Another Peterson product is the StroboFlip virtual strobe tuner, a stand alone highly portable device which I have used with great success and has no problem with the lowest notes on the bass side of a melodeon. The price of this unit has dropped a fair bit since last Christmas when I got mine and I would consider it a worthy investment.

Pete.

One software product that probably slips under the radar of most concertina repairers/tuners is the remarkable Professional Accordion Tuner from Dirk's Projects. This enables you to play all of the notes on an instrument and generate a written report. The tuner also 'listens' to three reeds at once which enables the concertina tuner to check octave notes against each other and make root/fifth comparisons.

For those who work with both concertinas and accordions/melodeons it looks like the thing to have. <_<

I use a software program called StroboSoft that Peterson sells.

That's an interesting thought, Bob. Do you use the built-in mike in your computer, or an external? And above all, is the program happy way down among the bass reeds?

I use an external piezo pickup affixed to my tuning platform. The ambient noise in my shop can get out of hand what with banjos, pipes, concertinas and loafer friends.

The program works well in the bass notes.

Bob

One software product that probably slips under the radar of most concertina repairers/tuners is the remarkable Professional Accordion Tuner from Dirk's Projects. This enables you to play all of the notes on an instrument and generate a written report. The tuner also 'listens' to three reeds at once which enables the concertina tuner to check octave notes against each other and make root/fifth comparisons.

For those who work with both concertinas and accordions/melodeons it looks like the thing to have. <_<

I use this software, initially it would not filter concertina reed harmonics, so it would not settle on to a note frequency. Dave Leese had the same experience. We worked with Dirk and he sent us some fix patches for his software that has improved things. I keep asking Dirk for a true concertina varient, but so far no luck!

Dave