Changing A C/g Anglo To Other Keys

I have been wondering about this for several minutes now. I've read that the pitch of a reed can vary with pressure, and I've done a few experiments on my Tina. By putting a Capo on the bellows to increase the pressure, I've got the C/G up to a D/A. It required more than one Capo though, I got the best results with three of them on bellows folds 1/4/8. However, I would really like to go the other way - down to a Bb/F. Has anyone else tried his, or have any advice for me? It seems to me that if this effect could be exploited, a multi-key concertina could become a reality.

However, I would really like to go the other way - down to a Bb/F. Has anyone else tried his, or have any advice for me? It seems to me that if this effect could be exploited, a multi-key concertina could become a reality.

Gerry

Going down is quite simple: just put your instrument in a plastic bag with two holes to put your hands through. Put your instrument in the bag and place your hands inside the back. Be sure that your system is quite air-tight (use some tapes to connect the bag to your hands/wrists).

Now comes the important step: fill the bag with a gas that has a higher density than air ( CO2, noble gasses like krypton, xenon or even radon). Now play your tina and you will hear a remarkable lowering of the pitch. To calculate the new value of your pitch, you can use a simple formula (density gas)/(density air) * pitch (in air) = pitch (in gas). In this way (using Radon) you can even lower the pitch almost one octave!!

So with the right air/gas mixture you can easily make a Bb/F concertina from your C/G. The other way around is also possible. In this respect Helium is often used to raise your voice in a Donald Duck like fashion. It will (as could be expected) also raise the pitch of your concertina.

Good luck with the experiments!

Edited by Henk van Aalten

I got the best results with three of them on bellows folds 1/4/8. However, I would really like to go the other way - down to a Bb/F. Has anyone else tried his, or have any advice for me?

Hi Gerry,

I must admit that I have similar thoughts about once every year or so. It would certainly make life a lot simpler to just have the one Anglo (how English players must laugh at our ideas!), but I'm equally certain that the concertina manufacturers would not be in favour of this practice (especially those involved with bellows manufacture!). I had to call a halt to my experimentation last year, since I have a maximum of 7 fold bellows.

Peter.

However, I would really like to go the other way - down to a Bb/F. Has anyone else tried his, or have any advice for me? It seems to me that if this effect could be exploited, a multi-key concertina could become a reality.

Gerry

Going down is quite simple: just put your instrument in a plastic bag with two holes to put your hands through. Put your instrument in the bag and place your hands inside the back. Be sure that your system is quite air-tight (use some tapes to connect the bag to your hands/wrists).

Now comes the important step: fill the bag with a gas that has a higher density than air ( CO2, noble gasses like krypton, xenon or even radon). Now play your tina and you will hear a remarkable lowering of the pitch. To calculate the new value of your pitch, you can use a simple formula (density gas)/(density air) * pitch (in air) = pitch (in gas). In this way (using Radon) you can even lower the pitch almost one octave!!

So with the right air/gas mixture you can easily make a Bb/F concertina from your C/G. The other way around is also possible. In this respect Helium is often used to raise your voice in a Donald Duck like fashion. It will (as could be expected) also raise the pitch of your concertina.

Good luck with the experiments!

Why is a Dutchman the first to answer "a question 4 UK players?" ;)

I have been wondering about this for several minutes now. I've read that the pitch of a reed can vary with pressure, and I've done a few experiments on my Tina. By putting a Capo on the bellows to increase the pressure, I've got the C/G up to a D/A. It required more than one Capo though, I got the best results with three of them on bellows folds 1/4/8.

You want to play in higher keys, but instead of taking the effort to learn how to use those "other" buttons, you squeeze your poor concertina until it screams? That's selfish and cruel, and I dare say that you would squeak, too, if you were squeezed like that. :o

I have carpenter's capos (C-clamps) in various sizes.

If you'll drop by, we might see what keys you could sing in. :ph34r:

:lol: