3rd Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent Game

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All this faffing around is getting us nowhere so I'll employ some tactics popular in Mornington Crescent (Ultimate Fighter - "Train of Blood") 2.0 and strike straight to Arsenal (it's the only tube station worth going to anyway :) ). I'd also like to invoke the Everettonian Many-Worlds sub-clause of the Patchkovsky Amendment enabling me to also simultaneously move to Paddington, Wood Green, Wimbledon & Paris (via St. Pancras).

I've red carded these Paddington, Wood Green, Wimbledon & Paris (via St. Pancras).

Woody. You only get one go per go.

A technical tour-de-force, if I may say so, Mr Corner. How do you handle the conflicting diagonals, mentally I mean?

It's simply a matter of taking inspiration from the Scottish flag, the St. Andrew's Cross, which has white diagonals on a blue background.

Thus I can have a north-west to south-east diagonal in one game, and a south-west to north-east diagonal in the other.

It works best when one of the destinations has some association with the colour blue, hence the move towards the sea.

I'm also taking inspiration from some of the classic games of Morningside Crescent played by Miss Jean Brodie, a great exponent when in her prime. However, she was occasionally foiled by a Watsonian Barrier, a move which can only be played by a former pupil of George Watson's College. I don't see any of them among the current players, so i think I'm safe in this game.

Surely fidjit should be shown a red card for using the word "card" as a verb ("carding").

For someone who's been barking in Colliers Wood for such a long time now, carding is surely acceptable.

If all else fails read the instructions. ;)

I'm a lunonar dow n cha no.( Whats a verb?)

Chas

Chas - take a deep breath and c a l m d o w n. Just remember that when you get to Cheltenham you can have a decent pint of beer.

In the meantime, and in an attempt to pull this game back to something like a conventional pattern of play (this is an open forum, everyone, and we are ambassadors for the game) I shall declare

Bromley by Bow

And may God have mercy on our souls.

Chris

From my hero, Bill Waterson and Calvin & Hobbs...

Calvin: "I like to verb words."

Hobbes: "What?"

Calvin: "I take nouns and adjectives and use them as verbs. Remember when `access' was a thing? Now it's something you do . It got verbed."

Calvin: "Verbing weirds language."

Hobbes: "Maybe we can eventually make language a complete impediment to understanding."

- Calvin & Hobbes, by Bill Watterson

I've perspectived this verbing thing a bit more, and maybe I pedanted over fidjit's carding.

So I'll bullet to Arsenal.

You've gone the wrong day - we're playing at Old Trafford.

Come on you G O O N E R S! :D

Bumped into fidjit in Cheltenham rather a long way from home. As you can imagine, he sees the error of his ways. To commemorate our meeting I make a move that works in the Cheltenham game as well as the true game (oh, how it works! Block this, suckers!)

Regents Street

Chris

I've perspectived this verbing thing a bit more, and maybe I pedanted over fidjit's carding.

So I'll bullet to Arsenal.

You've gone the wrong day - we're playing at Old Trafford.

Come on you G O O N E R S! :D

B U G R I T!!!! (Ancient 2nd Millennium Devonian phrase employed when events fail to go as planned)

As me boyz played like a bunch of clowns, it's the old ghost train to Oxford Circus

Bumped into fidjit in Cheltenham rather a long way from home. As you can imagine, he sees the error of his ways. To commemorate our meeting I make a move that works in the Cheltenham game as well as the true game (oh, how it works! Block this, suckers!)

Regents Street

Chris

And I kissed his lady Anne, and gave Chris a hug. You were looking well, both of you.

Nearly gave everyone a shilling. No. Sorry. Nearly took a shilling off of everyone.

By the way I went through Terminal 3 twice, but I'm not counting. :P

Chas

It is my proud privilege once again to declare the start of the 3rd Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent game. In a moment I shall call upon last year’s winner, Chas (fidgit) to open the proceedings with a statement of the special rules and modifications which will apply to this year’s game and also, most importantly, to make the first move.

But first, I have had a pm from forum member Mrs Trellis of North Wales asking how come nobody ever plays Mornington Crescent as the first move, and thus wins the game outright. Like most of us I knew this was highly frowned upon but I didn’t know the reason why. It took some research to uncover formally what we all know intuitively. It is, of course, a sub-clause of the Offside Rule. Obvious once you know. At the beginning of the game no diagonals can possibly have been opened nor any of the major conventions (Moreton’s, Stovold’s, Lyttelton’s) deployed. Therefore a call of Mornington Crescent as the opening move would simply put the player immediately and irretrievably in Knip, end of story.

So, on with the game. It is, as we all know, in memory of Charles Wheatstone who as well as inventing our favourite musical instrument was a superlative player of the Game of Games. I hope that we all espouse in our play those Victorian ideals of sportsmanship and fair play that are so widely associated with CW.

Over to you, Chas …

Now I see that whilst I've been away at the Spa. Nobody has bothered to read the instructions again. Or even for the first time.

If all fails. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. Otherwise I am beginning to think that you don't know what all the buttons are for on your boxes!!

(I know I don't)

Chas