Hop Step Tunes

Picking up on a remark by Jody that Hop step dances are not usually done in America,does that mean that Hop Step tunes, as such are not normally recognised as such?

Examples of these type of tunes are Lemmie Brazils No2 , "They're taking it away" my U tube example, Limey Pete on Anglo International.

Most UK dances at some point feature this kind of dance ,it requires fairly strict timing and I expect many others of you can come up with other good tune examples.In my early band playing days there were very few good tunes for this dance, but they now seem to be popular in sessions.

Al

Limey Pete on Anglo International.

As a quick aside Alan, my copy of Anglo International arrived yesterday and I loved Limey Pete on first hearing. The standard of the whole thing is very high and you are to be congratulated for your hard work and persistence in making this project a reality. Now I'm really looking forward to English and Duet International. :)

Limey Pete on Anglo International.

As a quick aside Alan, my copy of Anglo International arrived yesterday and I loved Limey Pete on first hearing. The standard of the whole thing is very high and you are to be congratulated for your hard work and persistence in making this project a reality. Now I'm really looking forward to English and Duet International. :)

Many thanks . This type of comment makes it all worth while.

English International is nearing completion (at last) in fact the First of the 3CD collection should be on my doormat within the next 7 - 10 days.

I have to check it for any mistakes or omissions and if OK the master will go to the manufacturers,to be later joined up with the booklet (another mammoth job) for packaging.

I will announce the release date as soon as I know it.

Duet has been started and also The Concertina Band CD to be released after Duet. At this point I will retire (unless I get another idea).

Thanks again

Al

Picking up on a remark by Jody that Hop step dances are not usually done in America,does that mean that Hop Step tunes, as such are not normally recognised as such?

Hi, Al.

Is this the remark you refer to?

I love the slow hop skip move, such a great groove to dance to and it’s so unlike any US dancing.

Jody says "hop skip" and you say "hop step." I'm not sure they are the same thing. In the USA we have many dances that use a hop step move (eg., schottiches) and plenty of tunes that go with them. I don't know whay Jody means by "hop skip."

Edited for typo.

Edited by David Barnert

Hi, Al.

Is this the remark you refer to?

I love the slow hop skip move, such a great groove to dance to and it’s so unlike any US dancing.

Jody says "hop skip" and you say "hop step." I'm not sure they are the same thing. In the USA we have many dances that use a hop step move (eg., schottiches) and plenty of tunes that go with them. I don't know whay Jody means by "hop skip."

Edited for typo.

I think it is the same thing, my wording David is as a dance step and I took it to be the same as Jody was mentioning. Hop right leg, hop left leg etc. The total dance is hopped or skipped in this manner.

There is another Hop step Dance that I was going to mention that I think developed from Clog/North West Morris which is light stamp left foot then with the right tap with the toes left and right in front of the toes of the left .Then stamp right foot tapping twice with the left foot etc . The beat is " A one two three,A one two three.The music usually a Polka " .

This is easier to demonstrate that to describe. I do not think this is the dance Jody was reffering to.

A Schottiche (French Style)is normally two steps left and two steps right in a dance hold with your partner.These English hop steps can be used independantly of your partner.

I may regret this posting.

Al

There is another Hop step Dance that I was going to mention that I think developed from Clog/North West Morris which is light stamp left foot then with the right tap with the toes left and right in front of the toes of the left .Then stamp right foot tapping twice with the left foot etc . The beat is " A one two three,A one two three.The music usually a Polka " .

Sounds like a "rant" step to me:

http://www.colinhume.com/dtrant.htm

if not, well I'm only a musician............

Peter.

Sounds like a "rant" step to me:

http://www.colinhume.com/dtrant.htm

if not, well I'm only a musician............

Peter.

That's the word I was looking for.

Al

There is another Hop step Dance that I was going to mention that I think developed from Clog/North West Morris which is light stamp left foot then with the right tap with the toes left and right in front of the toes of the left .Then stamp right foot tapping twice with the left foot etc . The beat is " A one two three,A one two three.The music usually a Polka "

I agree with Peter, you're describing the rant step. But it's interesting that there are two flavours to the rant. The Northumbrian version of the rant is quick and light, and suits tunes like the Morpeth Rant very well. The North West morris version is altogether more deliberate and heavy (as you'd expect of dancers wearing clogs) and that works with polkas like, say, Uncle Bernard's.

Examples of these type of tunes are Lemmie Brazils No2

Which indeed we use for a single step dance with the North West side we play for.

Chris

In dancing around the kitchen just now... I guess it really is more of a Hop Step than a Hop Skip. Or on second thought, a more accurate term might be Step Shuffle (I'm not talking rant here).

As it's an English move, please advise me Brits... is Hop Step the proper term to use or are Step and Skip used interchangeably?

Musically, I think that this step requires a slow and jaunty hornpipe that often includes rests at the ends of phrases. There is a particular tempo needed for the dance and also a sense of slowing down or playing behind the beat that I’ve heard and liked.

I first danced like that here in the US at Pinewoods camp where English dancing is common. I bet the dance was Nottingham Swing or Philabelula All the Way. This is a chestnut in the English Country Dance (Playford) scene here and likely over in the UK too. Right?

I’ve been working on another tune along those lines that I like even better, called American Flier. What is interesting to me is that with this new tune of mine, the rhythm is very English and Hop Step, but it sounds at the same time like an A modal American fiddle tune. I’ll put it up on my Tune of the Month pages in a few days for your perusal.

As it's an English move, please advise me Brits... is Hop Step the proper term to use or are Step and Skip used interchangeably?

Like Peter, I'm more a musician than a dancer, but I've usually heard it described as "Step Hop" - the emphasis is on the initial step, followed by a little hop. "Bicycle Step" also perfectly describes the backwards shuffle on the hop, as if you're running on the spot, rather than just hopping up and down.

When I do get to dance (about once a year!), it's one of my favourites, because the music is slow enough, and should have enough swing, to really get into it with your whole body. It's also one of my favourite rythms to play, for the same reason. Jody is right when he picks up on the subtle playing slightly off the beat which is characteristic of a lot of English music.

Like Peter, I'm more a musician than a dancer, but I've usually heard it described as "Step Hop" - the emphasis is on the initial step, followed by a little hop. "Bicycle Step" also perfectly describes the backwards shuffle on the hop, as if you're running on the spot, rather than just hopping up and down.

When I do get to dance (about once a year!), it's one of my favourites, because the music is slow enough, and should have enough swing, to really get into it with your whole body. It's also one of my favourite rythms to play, for the same reason. Jody is right when he picks up on the subtle playing slightly off the beat which is characteristic of a lot of English music.

Ah ha! Not hop step but Step Hop. That makes sense. As my wife Kathy points out, you step on the down beat and hop (really a back shuffle) on the off beat.

Many circles of American dance musicians I know don't even really like to play jigs, let alone slow swinging hornpipes. Here in the US, the reel rules. Still, I agree with you hjcjones, that it makes for great dancing. One reason that occurs to me now is that because of the shuffle hop move you can step hop going forward as well as backward or stay in the same place. Lots of mobility built in to the step. Also, lots of style options as well. Really the most fun dancing I've done, given the right band and partner.

If the speed of the music is correct even a tad slower than you would expect the dance can be very energetic indeed.

Worth a try over there. all you need is a couple to demonstrate it, the dance patterns are fairly easy.

I call it a Hop step, but it really does not matter what it is called as long as people enjoy it.

Al