What About A Beautiful Rosewood 48 Keys

Caroline Sniter

Hello to everybody !

What do you think of this instrument on ebay "buy it now" a beautiful rosewood, looking in good shape, bellows, ... do you know this seller, do you know this instrument ? what about the sound ?

I donont know how to send the link directly I am sorry !!!

"rosewood lachenal 48 keys" 1500 $ US buy it know, # 300 1664 32405

That's this one. You do know that this is an English rather than an Anglo? The bellows and reeds appear to be in good unrestored condition from the photos, but there's no substitute for trying it out, preferably with an experienced player tagging along with you. (And the photos don't show the action, so we can't see whether the pads are in decent shape.)

I wouldn't assume that this seller knows anything about concertinas.

If you try it out, check every button to see the notes sound good in both directions and in tune with each other--and make sure that no notes sound on either push or pull when no buttons are pressed. If it's important to you, determine whether the instrument is in modern concert pitch.

I don't know if the price is good--as an Anglo player myself I'm not on top of current English prices.

And all this having been said, you're definitely safer buying from a real concertina dealer.

Daniel

Hello to everybody !

What do you think of this instrument on ebay "buy it now" a beautiful rosewood, looking in good shape, bellows, ... do you know this seller, do you know this instrument ? what about the sound ?

I thought that this "All the reeds are intact with an extra set included." was very interesting and unusual. If what he says is true.

I can't imagine how it came about there would be an extra set of reeds.

The picture shows that the "extra reeds" are just the reed tongues, carefully labelled and pinned into a sheet of paper. The spare reeds appear to be brass (apart from one) so my guess would be they are the originals and the concertina has had some stage had the original brass reeds replaced with steel.

That's this one.

From the auction text: " Inside the box were also handwritten lyrics to a song, plus the extra metal reeds."

What an intriguing coincidence! Looking at the photos, I noticed that the lyrics are to a song titled "Till the Boys Come Home". That sounded familiar, and as I read the lyrics, the "deja vu" feeling increased. Could it be...? Yes!!

A couple of weeks ago I picked up at the local thrift shop a couple motley collections of music, bound together into hardcover "books". Such combinations as piano arrangements of music from Grieg's "Pier Gynt Suite", old Danish popular tunes and songs, and the song "Mathilde" from the "1913 Sommerrevyen" ("The 1913 Summer Revue", presumably in Copenhagen). Well, in one of them is the sheet music for "Till the Boys Come Home", a "ny engelsk soldatersang" ("new English soldier-song"), with piano accompaniment, and lyrics in both English and Danish. Before I bought those books, I had never heard of that song, and now I stumble across it twice in two weeks. Hmm.

This has has been listed before on ebay, possibly by the same seller i seem to recall. probably didn't meet the reserve. i think its priced too high. i rebuilt this same model about two years ago. it looked to be in same condition from the photos, but who knows. it needed new pads, end beads and bushings plus valves and thumb straps. this is time consuming. it was in very good tune with a sweet mellow sound. no case and no extra set of reeds. it sold for about 750 usd. maybe you can make an offer.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife bought this one for me on ebay, had it in Vancouver the next day, excellent condition and sound, all I have to do now is learn to play it.

Yes it was expensive but we are happy with it.

No, I have never played one before but always wanted to learn, now I have to!

I spent most of Christmas day researching concertina forums and looking for on line help. Found it.

Hello to everybody !

Thank you, Caroline. It is in excellent condition, exactly as described. The sound is perfect as best as I can tell. I have never played one before so I have a lot of learning to do!

Thankfully there are so many resources on the internet and I have a few tutorials, finger charts and the book "The Concertina" by Frank Butler, should be a big help.

So many keys!

My wife really surprised me with this, the seller couriered it to Vancouver next day and in time for Christmas.

hello Stephen,

You are the lucky owner of a really beautiful concertina, i am sure you will have a lot of pleasure with your new friend, let us listen when you will be ready ! How is the sound ?

caroline

Hello,

Your wife was really inspired and she must be,( as most of the women !!!), a very careful person with a delicate heart ...She knows you... for sure.

So good luck and wishes for the new year with your instrument, discoveries and surprises are the most interesting period, like in love !!!