Steel Reeded Lachenal Without 'steel Reeds'

nkgibbs

Hi Everyone,

There is a 38b Lachenal Anglo on ebay at the moment which has a trade mark but (as stated on the auction site) no 'Steel Reeds' stamp on the handrest.

As the person who asked the 'steel reeds question' the seller kindly emailed me:

"I have had an expert look at it and it is indeed a steel reeded instrument" :huh:

Is this really likely??? :blink:

Thanks,

Neil

Hi Everyone,

There is a 38b Lachenal Anglo on ebay at the moment which has a trade mark but (as stated on the auction site) no 'Steel Reeds' stamp on the handrest.

As the person who asked the 'steel reeds question' the seller kindly emailed me:

"I have had an expert look at it and it is indeed a steel reeded instrument" :huh:

Is this really likely??? :blink:

Thanks,

Neil

Of the Lachenal anglo's I've seen, the ones with the fine fretwork like this always have steel reeds, and never have the "steel reeds" stamp on the hand rail. Its only the lower grade model with the simple fretwork that needed to be marked to distinguish the ones with steel reeds because some were made with brass.

Hi Theo,

I'm not sure you're completely correct. I have a couple of the better quality lachenals that do have steel reeds stamped in the hnadrail. I also have one that doesn't. The common feature tends to be the brittleness of the rosewood ends!

Hi Theo,

I'm not sure you're completely correct. I have a couple of the better quality lachenals that do have steel reeds stamped in the hnadrail. I also have one that doesn't. The common feature tends to be the brittleness of the rosewood ends!

Thats why I said "of the Lachenals I've seen" I was trying to avoid definitive statements.

But it does seem to be true that some better quality steel reeded Lachenals are not marked 'steel reeds' on the handrails.

Hi Theo,

Thats why I said "of the Lachenals I've seen" I was trying to avoid definitive statements.

But it does seem to be true that some better quality steel reeded Lachenals are not marked 'steel reeds' on the handrails.

Agreed! :D

And now there's this one, which is about the fanciest looking Lachenal Anglo I've ever seen and does seem to have the "steel reeds" stamp.

Hi Theo,

Agreed! :D