1913 Wheatstone 56 Key Tenor-treble Aeola On Ebay

Perry Werner

Something else that is interesting re. this Aeola (or it might just be me not understanding the Wheatstone archive shorthand.)

Model 19 is a tenor treble but in this case it says "tenor" in the entry,which it does not usually do for a T/T......it just gives the model #.

I don't know if we're looking at different things here but I read the entry for 30022 as 'Octo' which is shorthand for the octagonal Aeola.

Another way to look at the pricing is this:

How much is a basic “beginners” English worth – a mid-19th century Lachenal or Wheatstone “tutor model”? £300 to £500?

How much better is a 1910s, 1920s tenor-treble Aeola in good condition? Six to ten times better? If so, then it's worth £3,000.

Sorry Robin I didn't realize we'd jumped back to the first of the Aeolas and I missed any reference to a serial number for that one. I agree the entry is odd and there are several other entries on the same page which are similar but the fact remains that a tenor concertina has only 48 keys. A 56 key tenor can only be a tenor/treble as far as I'm aware, if it was a tenor extended down that would be the same as an extended baritone wouldn't it? :blink:

Another way to look at the pricing is this:

How much is a basic “beginners” English worth – a mid-19th century Lachenal or Wheatstone “tutor model”? £300 to £500?

How much better is a 1910s, 1920s tenor-treble Aeola in good condition? Six to ten times better? If so, then it's worth £3,000.

Nearly every tune I play or hope to play requires the lower notes of a TT. To me those notes are worth their weight in gold. Still, it took some convincing to get me to take the leap from a treble instrument. Never once regretted the decision. Mike

Well theres a lovely looking 1924 TT aeola just gone on Ebay at £2500; (I deleted the link to it I'm afraid, you'll have to hunt) from what everyone's saying someone should snap that up. The owner's died and the family are selling it rather than see it fester (and as I've said elsewhere, good for them, doing the decent thing.)

Sorry Robin I didn't realize we'd jumped back to the first of the Aeolas and I missed any reference to a serial number for that one. I agree the entry is odd and there are several other entries on the same page which are similar but the fact remains that a tenor concertina has only 48 keys. A 56 key tenor can only be a tenor/treble as far as I'm aware, if it was a tenor extended down that would be the same as an extended baritone wouldn't it? :blink:

Looking at the page in question (11th July to 1st August 1913) there are several 56 (or more) key instruments, but none of the entries say "tenor-treble" or "extended treble".

Perhaps at the time "tenor 56 keys" meant "tenor-treble" and a plain "56 keys" (like entry 26006) meant "extended treble".

But look at entry 26002 - "Octo baritone black 62 keys". That would be fun to play!

Nope. Virtually all tenors are really "tenor-treble", because they have the same fingering as the treble, just extended down to the tenor range. Extending that further gives a "baritone-treble", like mine. An "extended baritone" would take the octave-lower baritone fingering and extend it upward, and its every note in the tenor and treble ranges would be on the opposite end of the instrument from a tenor-treble.

Looking at the page in question (11th July to 1st August 1913) there are several 56 (or more) key instruments, but none of the entries say "tenor-treble" or "extended treble".

Perhaps at the time "tenor 56 keys" meant "tenor-treble" and a plain "56 keys" (like entry 26006) meant "extended treble".

I wonder the same thing. No time right now to go through the ledgers to find out, but if that's so, then one should be able to locate the approximate time at which the change in terminology took place. Or maybe it depended on who was making the entries? :unsure:

But look at entry 26002 - "Octo baritone black 62 keys". That would be fun to play!

'Tis! :) ....... Well, mine is actually a 64-button baritone-treble, but why quibble over details? :)

Well theres a lovely looking 1924 TT aeola just gone on Ebay at £2500; (I deleted the link to it I'm afraid, you'll have to hunt) from what everyone's saying someone should snap that up. The owner's died and the family are selling it rather than see it fester (and as I've said elsewhere, good for them, doing the decent thing.)

Hello everyone. I'm the lister of the ebay 1924 Wheatstone. Just to give a bit more info (by the way, my brother and I came across your forum when we were researching the Wheatstone, when the 1913 instrument was on ebay), my father was a Salvation Army officer. In his day they used to teach them to play the concertina when they were in bible college. We knew he had one concertina, the Lachenal which is also so listed, but when my mother died recently, we discovered the Wheatstone, plus a Hohner piano accordian! We searched the internet for info and were very surprised to find how collectible these items are. We managed to trace the Wheatstone on the ledgers using the serial number but the other concertina has no external means of id. On taking off the end plate my brother discovered the Lachenal name although there is no serial number and the plate which would originally have housed the name on the outside has gone. The box has a label with Salvationist Publishing and Supplies on it.

I had a question from an ebayer asking if the Wheatstone was tuned to concert pitch. On searching for a key-chart on the internet I established that the C keys on the instrument are pitched to an F on the piano. I was taking C on the concertina to be the bottom key on the third row of the left side....is that correct? Sorry if I sound naive but as you are probably aware, I don't play personally. My brother wrote the description and he's a professional singer so is a bit more conscious of the timbre of the instrument.

Edited by tosca18

This is the same one as I noted a few days ago if you want to get to it easily.

I had a question from an ebayer asking if the Wheatstone was tuned to concert pitch. On searching for a key-chart on the internet I established that the C keys on the instrument are pitched to an F on the piano. I was taking C on the concertina to be the bottom key on the third row of the left side....is that correct? Sorry if I sound naive but as you are probably aware, I don't play personally. My brother wrote the description and he's a professional singer so is a bit more conscious of the timbre of the instrument.

No - the bottom key on the third row of the left side on a tenor-treble concertina is an F - so your concertina sounds like a standard tenor treble in standard (concert) pitch - assuming it's generally "in tune" (A at 440Hz)

This is the same one as I noted a few days ago if you want to get to it easily.

Sorry Paul; it only just came through on my standard search and I didn't notice.