What Is A "linota" ?

david fabre

Hello to the experts,

I have a simple question that I'm sure many of you can answer.

I often found the word "Linota" associated to Wheatsone instruments

but I'm not sure of its precise meaning. Is it a generic word for

Wheatsone anglos or does it refer to a particular model ?

If so what are the characteristics of them ?

Finally, my own Wheatstone is 40 button with metal plates and metal

keys, dating about 1908 according to the serial number. Does it fall

within this category ?

Thanks for instructing me.

David

I often found the word "Linota" associated to Wheatsone instruments but I'm not sure of its precise meaning. Is it a generic word for

David,

It's a question that gets asked from time to time (like here).

Yes, it was simply the registered Trade Mark that Wheatstone's used for their Anglo range, prior to the Second World War. You will see it described as such in this catalogue from around 1910.

LINOTA was usually stamped into the rails (handles) of the instruments, but I don't know what year it was registered (or first used).

Hello David,

Is it possible for you to give us the serial number of your Wheatstone plus a few photos? I have never seen an Wheatstone Anglo from 1908.

My Wheatstone Anglo 40 button is from the late 1950's and is in the 57XXX serial number range.

Thanks,

Ben

Stephen--

I believe that I have occasionally seen some post-WW2 metal-ended Wheatstone Anglos described as Linotas. Was that incorrect?

Daniel

I often found the word "Linota" associated to Wheatsone instruments but I'm not sure of its precise meaning. Is it a generic word for

David,

It's a question that gets asked from time to time (like here).

Yes, it was simply the registered Trade Mark that Wheatstone's used for their Anglo range, prior to the Second World War. You will see it described as such in this catalogue from around 1910.

LINOTA was usually stamped into the rails (handles) of the instruments, but I don't know what year it was registered (or first used).

I looked at the Wheatsones pricelists that were collected on the concertina.com site.

The "circa 1910" list mentions the "Linota trademark"

but the 1947 one and the subsequent ones do not have it anymore.

So the tradmark must have appeared before 1910 and disapeared between

1910 and 1947. Still a large gap !

On the other hand, these pricelists indicate that the "Aeola" trademark has been

used over a longer time.

• 2 weeks later...
My Wheatstone G/D, number possibly 23631......

Robin Madge

Hi Robin,

Definitely 23631, making it pre WW1 and a good vintage. If I recall correctly, this instrument has the fretwork covering the whole end, rather than inset, like mine, which is of 1918 vintage.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

The problem with the serial number is that the second digit is now unreadable and all I have left of it is the curved bottom part of the number so it could be a 3 or an 8. I used to be able to read it but never wrote it down anywhere. I would have remembered if it were a 6. I have been told of one place inside the instrument where the serial number was commonly placed, but it's not there. I'm fairly sure that it is a 3 but cannot prove it.:)

The metal is inset within an ebony strip round the end. You may be thinking of my Lachenal with complete metal ends.

Robin Madge

Hi Peter,

The problem with the serial number is that the second digit is now unreadable and all I have left of it is the curved bottom part of the number so it could be a 3 or an 8. I used to be able to read it but never wrote it down anywhere. I would have remembered if it were a 6. I have been told of one place inside the instrument where the serial number was commonly placed, but it's not there. I'm fairly sure that it is a 3 but cannot prove it.:)

The metal is inset within an ebony strip round the end. You may be thinking of my Lachenal with complete metal ends.

Robin Madge

Hi Robin,

I've checked the Wheatstone Ledgers, it's not 8 either, so I'll still go for 23631. I remembered your Anglo as being older than mine. Inset fretwork, though. Well, it's been a while since I've seen a concertina in your hands, so I must have been thinking about the Lachenal (Rosewood finish?).

Regards,

Peter.

Hi robin

I have a linota 40button anglo s/n 23703 in c/g .was yours in g/d when you obtained it.mine was in old pitch and was re tuned not quite as bright as it was but still very good.

bhawes

My G/D was already in concert pitch when I bought it. Neither of the two previous owners ( both of whom I know) had it re-tuned so it would have been done at least 25 years ago and probably quite bit longer.

Yes Peter, the Lachenal is a 32 button C/G with rosewood sides. I've now got a Bb/F that is identical to it as well!

Robin Madge