Wheatstone (1935?)

nontox

This is sold as a wheatstone and I have no doubt that it is one - but:

Is it a cheap one, is it a treble or a baritone - can this be seen from outside?

From the ancient pricelists it seems to be one of the simple models - but I'm not sure.

How much would you expect to be the price for it?

I don't want to buy it but I am curious, trying to get information about this new topic.

By the way I am totally new to this forum and want to say hello to you all.

Joschi

Thanks so far -

Well the thing with the bellows is a mystery. Look at the ledger for Concertina 33654 - here is the mirror entry - they obviously swapped the bellows of two concertinas.

Erinoid studs means ... what? The buttons are some ancient kind of plastic or what studs are meant by that?

Interested to find out more

Joschi

Erinoid studs means ... what? The buttons are some ancient kind of plastic or what studs are meant by that?

Joschi,

"Studs" is an old concertina makers' name for the buttons.

As Jake has said, Erinoid was indeed an early plastic material, so named because it was developed by the Condensed Milk Co. of Ireland (this country being also known as "Erin"). I understand that it only became available in rod form (so suitable for turning concertina buttons) in 1927, and Lachenal's were quick to employ it. Wheatstone's first used it on 11th September 1933 (on instruments #32947-8), and you will find this referred to in my article "Some Notes on Lachenal Concertina Production and Serial Numbers".

There is an earlier post on the subject here.

FOLKS: perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me. . . but is the serial number 3347SIX or 3347EIGHT......................if the latter, does the Erinoid still apply.............(Stephen: can you tell just from the photo)

allan

DH's lachenal english (from 1930s) which is the one I started playing on, has plastic buttons (presumably erinoid or a similar early material) and these look similar .... one thing you notice is that the colours are solid through the material, so the they don't fade much, or wear off with use. You see this a lot on the older bone button models where I think the bone is dyed on the surface, and the buttons have lost much of the original colours.

Chris

FOLKS: perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me. . . but is the serial number 3347SIX or 3347EIGHT......................if the latter, does the Erinoid still apply.............(Stephen: can you tell just from the photo)

allan,

Well it looks like a SIX to me, which means it is described as a model 3 (the cheapest one in the range) and if you look at a contemporary price list you will see that (though it doesn't have rosewood ends) it should therefore have "ivorine keys" (catalogue terms not necessarily matching ledger ones). If it was an EIGHT, then it would have to be a model 21, with flat metal ends and metal keys.