Anglo On Ebay December 2006

PeterT

... I seem to recall seeing this on ebay a few months ago ... Any comments?

Peter,

I think that was a rosewood-ended one? This is a rare version of Jones' "Chromatic Anglo" with metal ends - the only other example that I've seen is the one in my own collection, but mine has ebony veneers and gold-tooled bellows, usually they're rosewood-ended.

Well, whoever wrote the ad, based on the way it is written, does not seem to be a native english speaker. Being that it is being sold in the UK, that would cause me a little concern. It is probably paranoia on my part, but hey, when you are spending that much on a concertina, you probably want to be sure :).

--

Bill

I wrote them this morning asking how many buttons it had and if they had more pictures. Got a reply by this evening:

"hi

thanks for message it has twentyone buttons per end plus two for air

made by george jones a noted manufactuer of concertins and his instruments are becomeing rare

some still remain in the salvation army

i am unable to supply further photos at present

as i am away from my residence

regards and ahappy new year

moggyminor3"

When you check for seller's other items, none are listed. Not even this one - very very suspicious!!

It would appear his other items have sold. Check his feedback - you can get to links to the other items he was selling at least ostensibly

Well, whoever wrote the ad, based on the way it is written, does not seem to be a native english speaker. Being that it is being sold in the UK, that would cause me a little concern.

Bill,

Well, to an English-born "native English speaker" the description sounds very much like it's in "English like it's spoke". It may not be too grammatical, but it sounds very native. :unsure:

When you check for seller's other items, none are listed. Not even this one - very very suspicious!!

That isn't so if you check through www.ebay.co.uk, but then I always get the same problem with US sellers. :(

... I seem to recall seeing this on ebay a few months ago ... Any comments?

Peter,

I think that was a rosewood-ended one? This is a rare version of Jones' "Chromatic Anglo" with metal ends - the only other example that I've seen is the one in my own collection, but mine has ebony veneers and gold-tooled bellows, usually they're rosewood-ended.

My G. E. Jones is rosewood-ended (see my avatar on the left). I paid a lot more for it than what this metal-ended one is going for. It does have the buttons arranged the same way.

post-66-1167447176_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlexCJones

Stephen,

Were those both C/G?

Dan,

The only one of these that I've seen "in the flesh" is the one that I've got, but it isn't playable (and in storage at the moment) so I've no idea what key it's in.

Sorry! :(

Thanks Steven.

I tried to bid - missed it, I was a second slow with the accept button. It went for a great price.

Dan

Stephen,

Were those both C/G?

Dan,

The only one of these that I've seen "in the flesh" is the one that I've got, but it isn't playable (and in storage at the moment) so I've no idea what key it's in.

Thanks Steven.

I tried to bid - missed it, I was a second slow with the accept button. It went for a great price.

Dan

Stephen,

Were those both C/G?

Dan,

Thanks Steven.

Dan

I bought it, and I must admit to some surprise that it didn't cost me more. On the other hand, let's wait until I've had a good look at it before we call it a bargain! I recently bought a Lachenal Inimitable from Peru which looked pretty good on the outside, but needed half its sycamore framing replacing. Some very hungry Peruvian insects had left nothing but the veneer on the outside and a paper-thin sliver of wood on the inside. Worse still, one reed pan was beyond repair, so I had to use one from a scrapper.

Incidentally, this box had rosewood-veneered frames, but the ends were ebonised. I don't know whether this would have been the original finish - it certainly looks like it. Anyway, since that's how I found it, that's how I'm restoring it. Has anyone seen this combination before?

Regards,

David

Incidentally, this box had rosewood-veneered frames, but the ends were ebonised. I don't know whether this would have been the original finish - it certainly looks like it. Anyway, since that's how I found it, that's how I'm restoring it. Has anyone seen this combination before?

Yes. We'll probably find that this was a known practice.

I have just taken delivery of a Wheatstone Maccann Duet which a friend of mine has asked to sell, on his behalf. Ebonised finish, but when I checked the Wheatstone ledgers, found that it was described as Rosewood. Obviously, the ebonised finish could have been applied at a later date.

Regards,

Peter.