Tapered Palm Rests As Seen On A Dipper

Hello

I have seen a photo of a new Dipper that had an extra bit of wood on each of the palm rests that gives the palm rest a bit of a rise toward the thumbs(rather than flat, and parallel to the concertina end).

Does anybody have experience with this and have any comments on the benefits or otherwise of this design?

I know this is also an "ergonomics" question, please excuse me.

Richard

Simple answer to first question: yes they do help.

Robin Scard (Colin Dippers associate) made a pair for me for my larger concertina, carved curved solid rosewood under the hand and veneered to match the concertina underneath. Under the thumb end is much higher than the little finger end, not like the picture shown above. There is a picture of a similar one of these on a Scard instrument on a 65 key Duet (not my instrument), elsewhere on the net. The slope on mine is most comfortable, but I could do with the handrest being another half inch higher, and in my opinion raising the thumb achieves nothing except pains at the bottom joint of the thumb after a long time playing.

Inventor.

Simple answer to first question: yes they do help.

Robin Scard (Colin Dippers associate) made a pair for me for my larger concertina, carved curved solid rosewood under the hand and veneered to match the concertina underneath. Under the thumb end is much higher than the little finger end, not like the picture shown above. There is a picture of a similar one of these on a Scard instrument on a 65 key Duet (not my instrument), elsewhere on the net. The slope on mine is most comfortable, but I could do with the handrest being another half inch higher, and in my opinion raising the thumb achieves nothing except pains at the bottom joint of the thumb after a long time playing.

Inventor.

It's nice to see at least one sensible thread as well as all the sales garbage that's started appearing in the last couple of days :angry:

Thanks Richard!

It's nice to see at least one sensible thread as well as all the sales garbage that's started appearing in the last couple of days :angry:

Be fair to our moderators, it disappears again almost as quickly as it appears. :)

Brian, I never thought of fitting new rails to an existing concertina, but it would be an easy job for someone with more competence than I. I do like the increased height of the rails on my baritone, though I have no urge to explore a tapered bar. Perhaps I'll talk to C&R about having higher rails fitted on my Jeffries.

Chris

If you look at the pictures of Kensingtons on Dana's web site, he has sloped hand rails. Ironically, I prefer it sloped the other way due to (apparently uncommon) orthopedic issues, and Dana and I are trying out various modifications.

I actually added raised handles like Chris's to my Dipper order, but when it arrived, they weren't there (it _was_ years later). So I put on my trademark foam spacers and played away! That sort of modification is easy to try yourself.